28| Risks

***
When life knocks you down,
get up and fight harder.

***

The knot in my stomach tightened uncomfortably as I watched Jared approach me with the ampoule filled with murky green liquid in his hand. Faint blue smoke shimmered at the brim and even ten feet it smelled vile and nauseous.

Breathe in... Breathe out... Breathe in...

Bella was standing next to me holding my hand. But in spite of all her support, I was on the verge of panicking and running away.

You chose this. I told myself. So now face it.

"We need to inject the Wolfsbane into your arm." He told me, his face devoid of any expression and I reluctantly raised my left arm towards him.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Ashton grit his teeth and look away. If he couldn't stand watching this, how could people expect me to actually bear this?

I can do this. It's only for an hour.

Oh no, I can't. I'm going to freak out right now!

Breathe in... Breathe out. It's going to be okay.

I'm going to die, anyway. What a waste of oxygen!!

Be positive.

Give me one reason for that.

No answer.

My heart beat rapidly as I watched it happen in slow motion.

Jared had the syringe in his hand. He held my arm firm with the other.

The syringe was inches away from my skin.

My eyes shut automatically and I prepared myself for the pain.

The needle pierced my skin, and I bit my lip trying to suppress the scream that was building up in my throat.

It took me a few seconds to react, and then it started. The pain I would remember for a lifetime.

It spread slowly yet steadily, burning up every nerve fibre as it passed. My body felt as though it being torn apart and I could feel the wolf in me, weaken and fade away painfully.

"Zara!" I cried out with pain and worry. "Zara, answer me! Are you still with me?"

Sadly though, I received no response.

The pain of knowing you no longer have your wolf, your other half in you couldn't be described with mere words.

But I knew the torment had just begun, and this was nothing compared to what was about to happen ahead.

My knees buckled under the excruciating pain and I fell to the ground writhing in agony. The pain was unbearable and every cell in my body was on fire.

A scream escaped my lips as I clutched my stomach in agony. A new pain shot through my body as I lay there sobbing and dying because of the immeasurable agony I was going through.