17| Nemesis ✔️

***

Beware the fury of a patient man.
- John Dryden

***

A gentle hand shook me out of my reverie. "Kiara? Are you alright?" Ashton asked me worried.

I blinked back my tears which were not of sorrow, but rather anger, and smiled weakly.

"Tell me more about this... this GreyHound." I said the venom in words clearly showing.

"Ki, I.. I uh can't really..." He hesitated noticing the concealed fury behind my mask. I knew he did not want to fuel my anger any further.

"No, I need to know." I urged him. I was strong enough to handle this. And I would handle this for Arie's sake. "Isn't GreyHound the one who kidnapped my sister? Isn't he the sole reason behind Dad's death?" My anger was growing as I bombarded them with questions.

My eyes flickered between the two waiting impatiently for an answer.

Ashton took a deep breath, "Yes, Ki. He is the one," he answered quietly. I steadied myself and willed myself to calm down. "He is the one responsible for everything that happened."

Don't not lose control , Kiara...

"Okay," I said struggling to keep the emotion out of my voice, "So is there no way to defeat him at all?"

"Not that we know of." Elena said.

"What about the Guardians?" I asked. Couldn't they with all their 'Unsurpassable Wisdom' find a way out?

My voice had that noticeable trace of bitterness that even made Ashton, sitting next to me, flinch slightly.

"It is because of them, that we are alive and safe today." Elena answered, "If it hadn't been for the Guardians we wouldn't have survived these past three years at all. They are already doing their best, Kiara."

"So no one has been able to discover the secret behind his immortality yet?"

Elena shook her head in defeat, "No one." she said despondently.

Not yet.

"Tell me about this wizard Tyrus then." I pressed on, "What happened to him? Surely, he must be regretting he ever created GreyHound now?"

Elena gave me a small smile more like a grimace. "He didn't get the chance to."

My eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "What do you mean?"

"GreyHound turned against his own master. It was too late by the time Tyrus realized creating GreyHound had been his biggest mistake. GreyHound had already killed him by then."

I gasped. "Tyrus must have been the only person who knew the secret of his immortality!"

She nodded.

"GreyHound isn't even a proper Werewolf, which makes the matter much more complicated. He, like I said, is a hybrid. No one has ever heard of a species like him. He has powers much advanced than any Chosen Wolf. Unlike us, the beast is immortal."

"Perhaps he is like the Guardians?" I suggested.

She shook her head. "No. He is something else all together. We don't know how he looks like or even what are his powers. He is a complete mystery to all of us."

I sighed in frustration. None of the theories put fit him. Who is this GreyHound in reality? "So how come he has not attacked again since the last three years?" I asked.