Chapter Twenty-Three

Darius & Ivory are being interviewed by a character magazine, if you want to ask them anything, any question, fill out the form with your question and send it in! (link in the comments or on my social media).

If your question gets choose your name will appear in the magazine!

You can enter as MANY times as you like :) 

"Can I just go back to bed? I don't think I'm feeling too well," I was telling Darius as I walked out of the walk-in closet. Darius was on the bed trying to do his tie, his eyebrows knotted in confusion like it was the hardest task in the world. 

"But you got ready," he pointed out, undoing the tie again. I muttered to myself as I fixed my dress. It was in blue colour and ended just above my knees. Neat and casual. There was no point getting dressed up for him.

"Nonsense. You can meet my business partner," he said. He chucked away his tie on the bed and left the room. I grumbled to myself, tying my hair up in a pony tail. You mean my ex? Oh yea, no need to meet him again.

I caught up quickly and went downstairs.

"Ah, James, pleasure to see you again," Darius was saying as I got down. They greeted each other with a handshake like businessmen do. I avoided James's stare. "Have a seat." 

James took the seat on the opposite lounge. Thank god for that. I sat next to Darius, folding my hands in my lap like a lady. Ma came in serving the drinks and I grabbed a glass of champagne as well, using it to cover half my face. I pretended to be much more interested in the bubbles.

"Before I forget," Darius was saying, "this is Al - Ivory, my wife." 

James, who was drinking his champagne, spluttered suddenly. I almost burst out laughing. In my mind I was thanking Darius for his great timing. James held out his hand. Would it be too obvious if I didn't shake it?

"Pleasure to meet you," he said. 

I nodded, reaching over and shaking his hand. He held my hand longer than necessary. I pulled my hand back and wiped it on the seat, subtly.

I was so bored out of my wits as they both started talking. There had to be a way to stop this business deal. Wasn't there someone better out there?

Darius's business was joining ours. I mean, that was the whole point of this stupid marriage, so why does he need more partners? I had to ask Ma if she knew. She must have overheard something. 

"I'll check on the preparations," Darius was saying.

My head snapped up when I saw that he walked toward the kitchen. I stood up hastily.

No, don't leave me here!

I took a step forward, and James blocked my way. Damn it, why was I on this side of the display table?

"Ivory, I just want to talk," he pleaded. Too close. I took a step back.

"No," I muttered. "This isn't the place or time, James." I looked over his shoulder. Darius can come back any minute and may not understand if he saw us this way. I wanted to tell him myself. But not now, not here.

"Will you agree to meet me somewhere then?"

"No."

'But, Ivy-"

"Don't call me that, and shut the heck up. Look, I don't even want to be in the same country as you, so being in the same house under the same roof in the same room isn't doing me a favor. You made your choice, okay? You -"

I heard footsteps and James looked back to see Darius walk in, with a smile on his face, which was a first. 

"Everything okay?" he asked, oblivious to the tension between me and James.