Chapter 26

Nani’s POV:

                My eyes were wide with disbelief. I have heard of this group of men but I thought they were only legends. They killed the most innocent of people in the most brutal of ways and then let their bodies rot before sending it back in pieces to their house for their families to uncover. Niall couldn’t possibly think that he could kill an entire gang of evil men and expect to get out of there alive. Unless he wasn’t planning on coming out alive…

                Niall shrugged his shoulders and spoke with a calm and tired voice. “I’m used to it, so it’s not that big of a deal. I’m good at what I do.” His eyes avoided mine as he slowly drifted into his own little world.

                “Niall…. N-Niall please don’t go!” I pleaded as I took a small shaky step towards him.

                He tensed up. “Nani this is my job. You have your uh…your….?” He said while trying to think of the right word and getting slightly frustrated at himself.

                I thought about what he was trying to say and then a light bulb in my mind went off. “You mean singing?” I asked curiously as I tilted my head slightly to the side. It was obvious he still had no idea what singing was except for a vague understanding it was something that you did with your voice. Other than that he was lost on the concept.

                He shook his head as if he was mentally cursing himself out for not remembering on his own. “Yeah… that. Anyways, you have singing for your job and I have this for mine.” He said almost emotionlessly but still had a hint of annoyance to his voice. “It’s life, shit happens but you learn to live with it.” He continued.

                I frowned at him as my heart raced in fear knowing he could get hurt or even killed tonight. I felt panicky as I knew this could be the last time I ever saw him. Why was I like this? “Please… please don’t go. Don’t leave…” my voice cracked as I couldn’t think of the right words to say.

                “I’m sorry Nani, I have to.” He said calmly. I felt tears enter my eyes but I tried to blink them back. I ran into Niall’s arms and hugged his waist tightly as I buried my face in his chest. He grunted softly and looked at me with furrowed eyebrows as if I was mental.

                I sniffed back a few tears and I could tell he had heard it. He slowly began to relax and he wrapped his muscular arms around me. He was hesitant, but soon he rested his chin on my shoulder and I rocked with him slowly.

                I didn’t want this to end. As bad as it sounds, this man was able to put butterflies in my stomach with a single touch. Every time I looked into his eyes chills of delight seemed to ripple through my body even though I don’t think I showed it. The way his arms held onto me protectively as if he thought that when he would let go, the illusion would be gone.

                “I’m sorry Nani.” He said barely above a whisper. I knew a part of him didn’t want to leave either but I also knew a larger parted of him was searching for something and for some reason something in his mind told him it was where death would be. I buried my face in his chest and fisted his shirt tightly as I came to the thought of having his body parts arrive in plastic bags at the house.

                I didn’t want him to go. More than anything I didn’t want him to leave me. I would take his place in a heartbeat or give him all the money in my bank account just so he wouldn’t have to leave. Every time his body stopped touching mine, it was like an instant heroin addiction drawing me back for more. And that’s when I finally admitted to myself what I had been trying to repress:

I loved this man for reasons even I could not begin to comprehend yet.

A/N: Sorry this chapter is kind of small. I'm working on getting them to be a little longer but there is going to be a really long chapter coming up soon. Please Vote and comment what you think of the book so far and tell me if there is any ways I can improve. :)