The Death Cure: I'll Miss You

The group had fallen asleep, whilst Jorge continued flying the Berg. They were going to Denver, hoping to get the help they needed. Two days ago, it was revealed that most of the group was immune to the Flare. The only exception was Newt.

Y/N was lying on one of the couches, a blanket covering her body. Brenda was on the other one, while the three boys lay on the floor. She couldn't sleep. It wasn't because of Minho's loud snoring. It was because of Newt. She worried about the boy, and couldn't imagine the boy she loved turning into a Crank.

They truly loved each other, the two of them. It was not a one-sided love. Y/N has had romantic feelings for him since the Maze Trials, but had not realized how much he had meant to her until now. The fact that Newt was slowly losing his mind shattered her heart. One day, Newt was not going to be the same boy any longer. And Y/N couldn't accept that.

Interrupting her thoughts, a voice called out to her. "Can't sleep?" It was Newt.

She decided it was pointless playing dead. "Yeah. Minho's snoring kept me up."

Lie.

He laughed. Newt sat up, walking towards her. He let out his hand, probably asking her to stay up with him. She took his hand without hesitating. Y/N knew that their time together was limited, and she wanted to spend the longest possible time with him.

Newt and Y/N were leaning against the metal wall in silence. After a minute or two, Newt broke the silence. "I guess I'll be stuck in this bloody Berg while the rest of you enjoy exploring the city of Denver."

Y/N shifted her gaze to the floor. She frowned. "I wish you could come with us."

"Yeah? Well, there's nothing we could do about it, anyway. " Newt leant his head against the wall behind him. He sighed, "Y/N."

She looked up at the boy when he called her name. Newt tilted Y/N's chin up, so he could see her face clearly. He smiled. "Why are you so beautiful?" He then moved closer, pressing his lips against hers. He kissed her softly, but passionately.

He pulls away afterwards, but rests his forehead against hers. "I love you." he whispered. They kiss again.

This time, Newt broke the kiss, turning away completely from her. It broke Y/N's heart when she had seen the tears stream down his face. She had never seen Newt cry before. Not like this.

"Newt, is everything okay? What's wrong?"

"Y/N," the boy sniffled. "Y/N, I can feel it. I can feel myself losing my mind."

Y/N's eyes widened. It had all been happening too soon. It was only earlier when Newt had gotten into a physical fight with Minho. He had started getting angry much more easily, and had a very short temper. It was hard to accept that Newt was the same kind, considerate boy from the Glade.

"Sometimes I just want to die."

"Newt."

"There's nothing much to live for in this shuck world anyway."

That hit hard. "Newt."

Newt looked at the girl, who tried too hard to hold back her tears from falling.

"Newt, you're giving up. Listen. I want us to be together for as long as we have got. If that is not long, well, then that is just how it is. But I want you to fight for your life. I know you can do it. You can't just give in. Promise me, Newt. Promise me you won't give up."

He stared at the girl for a moment, ignoring the throbbing in his head. He nodded. "Then promise me this. Make sure you read the message on the paper I gave you only when the time is right."

Y/N felt for the note in her pocket. She had almost forgotten that Newt had given her the note. "Promise. But when is the right time? How will I know?"

"Don't worry. You'll just know. If you open it before then, Y/N," he paused, "I'll never forgive you."

The two of them sat in silence for a while. Y/N looked at Newt, smiling a little. Her eyes were brimming with tears. He was starting to fall asleep. She continued to stare at him, adoring him. She couldn't imagine living a life without him, but she had to accept that he wasn't going to be there forever.

The moments they shared this night could have been the last.

* * *

The next morning came. Y/N and Newt had fallen asleep without realizing. Y/N's eyes flickered open. Her head was resting against Newt's chest. Their closeness was almost too embrassing. There were others on the Berg, too.

Thomas was staring at the two of them, a smirk on his face. Y/N pulled away from Newt, who had seemed to wake up only in that moment. Everyone else had seemed to be waking up, stretching. Today was the day they were going to explore the city.

Y/N rose up from her position, looking around the room. Brenda announced that they were leaving for the city in half an hour, but she didn't feel ready to leave the Berg. To leave Newt.

Half an hour had passed by quicker than she had thought. It was time to say goodbye. Y/N had no idea how long she was going to be away from Newt for, but she was sure to miss him even after a few minutes. The group was to explore the city of Denver for at least a couple of days.

"I really wish you could come with us." Y/N said in a quiet voice, hugging the taller boy tightly.

"The outside world doesn't seem too inviting. Besides, you're probably the last good thing in this bloody town."

Minho rolled his eyes. "Okay, that was sweet. Can we go now? We'll see you in a couple of days, Newt." He patted his friend on the back before exiting the Berg. Thomas and the others said their goodbyes, as Y/N stood by the Berg's hatch. She made sure she was the last to leave. She followed after Thomas, who also kept looking back for another glance at Newt.

The group turned to face the Berg as the hatch closed slowly; Newt slowly disappearing. Y/N smiled at the boy, biting her lip. She was sure to see him after two days.

There was nothing to cry about.