35 - Drop into the Room

Even with the room below empty, you still whisper your next words to Sally. "We need that van."

Sally's emerald green eyes are watery and wide with terror, but she nods readily. Logically she knows that the van could easily become a key asset in a predicament like this. It's tall enough to keep the undead from busting and climbing in the windows, and it's sturdy enough to plow right through them if the need arises.

Knowing that you might not get another chance, you and Sally get to work unscrewing the vent cover. Just as you're about to jump down, the door Troy disappeared through bursts open. In a hurry, you settle back out of sight and try to stop shaking.

"Like I'm your regular darned body dumper," Troy is grumbling, and suddenly, something hits you. This man is obviously unhappy with his current position, but if you were to talk him over-

Troy spreads a white sheet on the floor, then rolls Mick's lifeless body onto it. He folds the sheet up so that Mick looks like a morbid burrito. While he's slowly dragging the bulky sheet by one end, he's still complaining. "Sick of being your lackey. Not a dunderhead-"

"Ditch him," you say. You're nervous as all get out, but this is the one solution you could think of where you might have a shot at the van and an accomplice. 

Troy stumbles, dropping Mick's legs and nearly falls on his bottom. He looks around wildly as if he heard a ghost. "Who said that?" he demands. 

"Me," you say, jumping down. Hoping that your plan will work. Sally stays hidden in the vent.

"I saw what he did," you say. Normally, admitting to witnessing a murder was probably not a good idea. But in this new infected world, it might just be a key you can play to your advantage. "You think he won't do the same to you, if the mood hits him?"

Troy is eyeing you suspiciously. "What do you know? We go way back. Just you mind your business."

"Sure, you go way back. I bet him and Mick here go way back as well." you say and pause a beat while a meaningful silence fills the room. "Surely you've got nothing to worry about. You are bait after all..."

"Just hold up a minute," Troy finally says, anger seeping into his voice as well as his features. 

"No, please continue," Cal says from behind you.

Drop into the Room cont. - PLEASE SKIP TO CHAPTER 44