11 | We're Ninjas

**rereading this made me realize that when I went through and edited the book, I left some parts out and forgot to address them so IF YOURE CONFUSED, that's why. I will be going back through this story to right this wrong soon, I promise!
********

I walk into school on Monday morning with a refueled determination to solve the mystery that was Nathan Rhodes. Sunday night had been spent trying to piece together the new information I gathered from the tracks this weekend. So far, I had constructed the theory that Nathan and his friends hated Thomas and his friends because they were racing rivals, which is why Thomas was so mad when he saw me with Nathan.

I had texted Reese on my way back from the tracks with Nathan to let him know what had happened, and he spent the better part of Sunday night apologizing profusely via text. I forgave him, of course, but decided that I didn't want to pursue things further. After all, I was already expected to put all of my energy into pulling this experiment off, and I had also decided to solve the mystery surrounding Nathan.

Per Stephanie's request, I was wearing black jeans with a rip at the knee, her tan booties, and a navy blue sweater with cut outs on the shoulders. My hair was straightened for a change instead of in the usual blonde waves, and I continued the trend of winged eyeliner and mascara. I got through the first few periods of my day effortlessly before it reached lunchtime and tried to find Nathan.

All day my mind had been working a million miles a minute, thinking of all the questions that I wanted to ask him. So, instead of going straight to the art room and hiding out there while I continued to fill my sketchbook, I instead went straight to the cafeteria. When I walked into the cafeteria, I ignored the stares and whispers that followed as I passed, instead keeping my chin held high as I scanned the room for Nathan.

I knew to check the center of the lunch room first, considering when Nathan and his friends bothered to show up, they were always the center of attention in the middle of the cafeteria. And, as I had suspected, I saw Vincent and Asher sitting at a table with a girl that I didn't recognize. I took a deep breath and walked straight to their table confidently, all too aware of the tables that silenced as I passed.

Asher was talking to Vincent as I approached the table, but when his eyes shifted to me, he stopped talking to give me a friendly smile. "Hey Lauren," Asher greets happily. "What's up? You want to sit down?"

"Hey Asher," I can't help but smile back at him because his grin was so infectious. "I'm actually looking for Nathan. Do you know where he is?"

The girl whom I didn't recognize had straight brunette hair and striking blue eyes. She spoke to Vincent quietly as Asher and I talked, and I was surprised how I never noticed her before. Not only was she really pretty, but she was the only girl who had managed to gain the bad boy's friendship.

Asher and Nathan were both famous for hooking up with girls and then leaving them high and dry. And girls, just the same, were famous or trying to tame the bad boys. They chased after Asher and Nathan with the thought of making them change their ways and turn them into good boys, but it never worked. Both of them were infamous for breaking girls hearts.

"I think he's around the parking lot behind the school," Asher supplements with a suggestive smirk. "Have fun. Be safe."

My cheeks warm at his insinuation and I mutter, "Shut up Asher."

I hear Asher and Vincent snicker as I turn back around and stalk out of the cafeteria, set on finding Nathan. I walk along the empty hallways to take the most direct route to the parking lot. The artificial color of the yellow lights in the hall make the white marble floors look pasty and rough as my shoes click against the ground.