Chapter 7

First off, before I start, I want to thank all of you. 150 READS! That is so much more than I had ever hoped for, and I can't wait to keep going!

I owe it all to you guys.
-neary17
***

Caroline and I have been getting along like two peas in a pod. Her kind, sweet nature went perfectly with my new found sass and spunk. It had been about two weeks since she had offered me a job, and I couldn't be happier. She was one of the first people that actually listened to what I had to say, and as an added bonus, she made me meals every morning, and night.

Every day, I was greeted by her drive for her small boutique, The Sharp Sense, and the way she pushed me to make an effort to build a reputation along side her. Caroline made me feel so honored that she would want to spend time with me, a rouge with no place to belong.

Of course, every now and then, I wondered why no one was coming for me, a rouge in the middle of Maine, living with a grandmother above her store. Even more surprising, no one had recognized me from those posters, and not a soul from my old pack had come looking for me. For the first time in months, I felt safe, finally.

Today was busy, many people coming in to see if Caroline had brought in her signature spring collection yet. I left many customers shaking their heads in disappointment, telling me they would check back in a week. Over the time I had been here, people had seemed to warm up to my presence, even going as far as to share a joke or two while their waiting for their purchase.

Bailey, another one of Caroline's helpers, and I closed up shop early. I didn't know what for, but Caroline had been absent recently, and really down in the dumps. I knew she had something on her mind, but she hadn't wanted to talk about it, and who was I to push her?

Shutting down the lights, and reversing the front sign, I trudged my way upstairs to my temporary bedroom in one of the guest rooms, Caroline had so graciously provided me. Every time I walked in, a small smile graced my face. This blue walled room was the first closest thing to my first actual bedroom. My eyes widened when I saw the most beautiful black dress I have ever seen folded neatly on the bed. What was this for? As far as I knew, all I planned on doing was sleeping tonight.

The floor boards creaked behind me, and I turned to face Caroline, with a sad look in her eyes. It broke my heart a little to see my savior so detached from the outside world, on the verge of breaking into tears any second. I wrapped my thin arms around her, wanting to give her some comfort.

"Darling, I have a favor to ask of you," she muffled into my hair as I nodded. She took a deep breath, "will you come to a funeral with me today?" I froze. I haven't been to a funeral in years, and the last time I went was the worst day of my life. I knew what would happen as soon as I saw a coffin, or the sad looks of people. Even knowing this, I would, only for Caroline. I had grown to treat her as my own grandmother in the time I have known her, and I would give her my life.

"Of course Caroline, I'll go with you. When should I be ready?" She was dressed and ready to go, so I assumed I had not much time. She checked the clock on her wrist, and picked up the dress on the bed.

"In an hour Janie, and then we will go. Thank you so much for doing this, child." I could practically feel her gratitude flowing towards me. I wondered who had died, and how close this person was to make Caroline feel this way. It was exactly an hour later when there came a soft knock on my door, signaling that it was time to leave. I laced my arm in hers, wanting to show some reassurance in her time of need.

The car ride was not long, but every passing minute made me feel a little more suffocated. It took me a while until I could gather up the courage to ask the question I had been dying to ask. "Caroline, who died?" The car jerked a little, and her grip on the steering wheel turned her knuckles white.