The Raven Girl - chapter 51

The violin was laid in front of me by two faceless dark robed figures. Somewhere in the room Edvard was sitting. His voice floated around me- “I want to hear you play again.” Drowsily I tried to sit up but promptly fell back against the floor. The blackness came and I felt hands touching me, pulling at my clothes, when I opened my eyes again the black figures were wrapping me up in a dark cloth almost like a toga. Edvard was in the background holding a crown made out of stars. They sat me on a cold throne where I slumped against the side barely conscious. My vision made Edvard sway and dance as he approached the throne and placed the stars on my head.

“You look beautiful.” He murmured.

I noticed the black leather gloves on his hands. Was Morgan’s curse still affecting him I wondered. I reached out to touch his face and Edvard quickly ducked out the way.

“Clever girl.” He murmured.

I laughed, “You can’t touch me.”

Pain exploded at the side of my head and I fell unconscious again. I drifted in the darkness for what seemed an eternity. I didn’t want to wake up. Life without Dante was not life, it was a miserable state of existence devoid of love and happiness. I imagined Dante lying in that wooden cabin pale and lifeless. Edvard had taken my only love away and now I was utterly alone in the world.

I’m sorry dragon, I failed you.

The thought echoed through my mind and the blackness cleared into brilliant white. Snowflakes drifted in front of my eyes and in the distance I saw the dragon. She was stood in the snow staring at me. Her health had been restored, the years of neglect and torture she had suffered by the vampires had been completely erased from her skin. She looked beautiful. Tears of happiness were running down my face. I tried to call out to her but I was abruptly pulled out my dream by the sound of screaming- Morgan’s screaming.

“I’ll never let you touch her!” Morgan yelled.

“Lift the curse off of me fox!” Edvard replied.

“Or what? I’m not afraid of death or torture, there is nothing you can threaten me with!”

“Oh you are brave.” Edvard hissed.

Edvard’s back was turned against me. I was still slumped in the throne. Looking down at my hands I saw fine silver chains around my hands and ankles that tied me to the chair. I moved about quietly testing the chains, they had given me a little length.

Use the violin.

Sluggishly I stood up from the throne and picked up the violin. Edvard was yelling at Morgan and had not noticed me approach him from behind. I smashed the violin over his head and he crumpled to the floor. Rushing over to Morgan, I untied her.

“Oh god Ebony do you have any idea how much I have missed you!” Morgan cried wrapping her arms around me.

“I love you too.” I said wearily.

Morgan looped her hand around my waist, “We’ve got to get out of here!” She said.

I tried to walk forward but the chains began to bite into my flesh burning me. I screamed out loud and fell to the ground. Morgan tried to help me up but I shook my head,

“The chains are enchanted, I cannot go with you.”

“Then I’ll go to the vampire court for help.”

“It’s no use.” I cried bitterly, “Edvard killed Dante.”

“What?” Morgan whispered.