The Four Amigos

Chapter 1

                                                                             ***

                                                                       The Four Amigos

         I wake to the sound of two different alarms. Still half-asleep, I grab my blaring phone, click snooze, and lie back down. The other alarm is turned off a few seconds later. I can hear the sound of shuffling feet and assume that Sami is up. My assumption is confirmed when I get hit with a pillow over the head.

         "Hey!" I said, annoyed, "What was that for?"

         "Check your phone, Meredith," she said urgently.

         "Why?" I asked.

         "Just check," she urged. I grabbed my phone from my dresser and looked at my lock screen. It said I have an unread message from Colette. I typed in my four digit password and clicked on the green message icon and read: I want all four of you in my office by 7:45. DO NOT BE LATE.

         Excitement bubbled up inside me. I glanced at Sami, who was practically beaming. "Are you thinking what I'm thinking?" I asked.

         She smiled mischievously, "Well what are you thinking?"

         "I'm thinking this could be an assignment."

         "That's what I was thinking. She hinted something like this yesterday," said Sami excitedly.

         "I wonder what it'll be—well, we'd better get dressed and go meet Parker and Aaron." I said. I hopped out of bed and speed walked to my closet. On my way, I knocked over my precariously balancing stack of books. I pushed them over to the side and walked, a little more slowly towards my closet. I picked out a denim shirt and black leggings, and changed as fast as I could. 

         "Maybe there's a plan to assassinate the president that we have to stop," suggested Sami.

         "Not likely," I replied, "they wouldn't send four teens to do that no matter how good we are. Whatever it is, I hope it's in another country." I smiled wistfully at the idea of traveling to Italy or Spain. Language is by far my strong suit. I speak twelve languages fluently.

         "I hope not. I get enough language in this place. I was confused before we added all accents."

         Sami is best at profiling, going undercover, and defense—language isn't really her thing. I get what she means, though. The accents were really confusing to me too. For example, we'd have to speak French with a Spanish accent. It just added on from there too. Soon we'd have to speak French as if we were from Paris with a Spanish accent as if we were from Madrid. It's really hard. Thankfully, we all started learning early and language is second nature to all of us. Sami and Parker speak six different languages, and Aaron speaks nine.

         "I guess we'll find out what it is soon enough," I said, "I mean, we don't even know if it is an assignment. Maybe Parker 'accidentally' hacked into NASA again."

         Sami laughed. "Colette would bury him alive if he did that. Or maybe she'd just take away his laptop. I think he'd rather be buried alive."  I laugh and walk into the bathroom to brush my teeth.

         As I walked in I pass a mirror and catch sight of my reflection. My face is narrow and currently flushed because I just woke up, giving me a pleasant morning glow. I wouldn't say I'm tall, but I'm not short either; I just have a small look about me. I have a slender, almost willowy figure, which causes people to underestimate my strength—a big mistake, might I add. Nearly ten years of training tends to make a person very strong and competent. Sami looks way more the part of a fighter than I do. Although she's shorter than me, she has an athletic built and killer "don't mess with me" glare.