Chapter 23 - Who Is My Enemy?

A fearful shriek rang out in the darkness of the night, winds howling as two figures ran into sight. A lady, dressed in a long skirt with her head wrapped in a scarf, hobbled as she ran, leaning heavily on the male figure beside her. She was crying, her hand wrapped firmly across her swollen belly, as she whispered under her breath, "Nothing's going to harm you darling, not while I'm around."

She stumbled, almost falling to the ground, but her companion, her husband cradled her swiftly, ensuring that she didn't hurt herself. Her heart lurched at the sudden pain in her womb, as she hurriedly turned towards her husband, whispering harshly, "The baby's coming. Our baby's coming!"

If possible, the man's face paled as he rapidly scanned their surroundings for their pursuers, his sharp hearing senses picking up the sounds of boots along the cold cobbled floors coming from the north, "This way. There's an alley leading to an abandoned corner room." He kissed the side of her head lovingly as he brushed a stray hair from her cheeks, "We can do this, my love. We will survive this."

She nodded weakly, biting on her lips to restrain herself from screaming out as another wave of pain shot through her stomach, "The baby can't wait any longer love, we-"

With a strong lift, the man hooked his arms under his wife and carried her firmly in his arms, "Stay strong my love. I will get us there. Endure!"

Turning down the street into a series of complicated alleys, the man was grateful that it was pretty deep into the night, and no one would be lurking around with all that had been happening in the kingdom. Stumbling a little under all the weight, the man readjusted his wife gently in his arms as he panted hard. "We will survive this." He whispered under his breath, kissing his wife's cheek. "We are almost there my love."

She nodded, her face shining with a sheen of sweat, her lip broken from biting too hard as she tried not to make a noise. She whimpered into his neck, crying slightly from all her emotions. "I love you." She murmured, clenching her fists hard as yet another wave hit her. Her child was coming, it couldn't wait. She could feel it.

"We are here." Her husband announced quietly as he used his shoulders to barge into the abandoned room. His eyes adjusting to the pitch darkness of the room, he found a rickety bed, looking worn and dirty, but all they had right now. He gently lay his wife down on the bed, wincing as the bed made loud squeaking noises. He knelt by her side instantly, one hand holding hers and the other caressing her hair. "What do you need, my love?"

His wife shook her head vehemently, her fist flying into her mouth so she could bite down instead of screaming.

"No!" The man whispered harshly, yanking her slightly bleeding fists from her mouth, hurriedly tearing his shirt and stuffing her mouth with the fabric, kissing her face over and over again, whispering words of affection.

She pushed and bite and cried and whimpered, and she did her best she could in the situation that they were in. She only hoped that they had enough time before they were discovered.

A loud, piercing shriek rang out through the night and she winced, heart clenching in pain. Adora, my sister. I'm so sorry. Thank you. Another of her sisters have fallen. Another sacrifice, so she could safely have her child somewhere else as the guards hunting them were distracted with chasing her sisters.

Another wave of pain hit her, and she knew, this was the final push she needed, she looked at her handsome and amazing husband, tugging on his hand to tell him that the baby was ready to come out, and as his eyes widened, he moved swiftly towards her knees, pulling his shirt off of his back as he waited to receive their child. With all the strength that she could muster, she gave it her all and pushed with all her remaining strength.