#57 - Remake of Scenario #5

throwback

"Coming!" I shouted back at the sound of the doorbell, pulling a batch of iced lemon cupcakes from the fridge, arranging them on the table.

As I passed the mirror in the hall, I lit an incense stick and brushed the light coating of flour on my jeans. Brady strolled past lazily, and I picked him up, advancing to the door.

Today I met a potential new roommate. The price of my apartment shot up suddenly, and I can't juggle another job, plus the one I already have at the florist downstairs and college, so a roommate was my only option.

I put an advert up on the papers, and Ross contacted me. All I knew about him was that he was my age and had a really nice dude voice. I dig it.

I was greeted by a tall blonde, shades atop of his head. His demeanour immediately gave away that he was very chill, and that was key (I had a law student as a roommate in college; I nearly stabbed her). "Hey! I'm sorry about the elevator, it will be fixed in a few days."

"No worries, the climb wasn't too bad." He returned the hug I offered. "It smells lovely. And by lovely I mean food."

I laughed. "Come on in, I made cupcakes."

He looked past me, and like a child, was following Brady. The car surprisingly accepted his petting, as he was known to scratch new people.

"Meet Brady. He's usually friendly." I shrugged and Ross smiled.

"I had you pinned down as a tatted up chick, but you're quite the opposite." He stood again.

I pushed my glasses further up my nose. "Im usually quiet unless I have caffeine. You look like the life of the party - tea or coffee?"

"Coffee please, and you could say that." He took a seat. "No milk or sugar, just coffee."

"You're tough." I muttered, making him laugh. For myself, I poured some tea and attacked a cupcake. "Are you from around here?"

"Yeah. I recently moved out of my parents' house and have been sleeping at my friend Ellington's so I want to get my own place, but I don't like being alone." Ross replied. "Are you from Cali?"

"Nope, I'm from New Zealand but we moved out to New York when I was 7, then I came over here for college." I smiled and he did the same. "Are you studying?"

"Online. I tried actual college once, and was drunk for majority of the first week." He chuckled. "Plus, some people are just difficult to be around. But not you, Grace. You're chill."

"Aw, thank you." I looked at my tea cup, instantly blushing.

"Do you surf?"

My eyes shot up. "Yes! How did you know?"

"The incense may smell like lavender but, you can literally smell the sea salt." He replied. "And I do too."

"Have I just found a new surfing buddy?"

"Potentially." Ross winked.

We talked about more random stuff, like Brady's breed, why one cupcake out of the whole batch was chocolate and looked at each other's playlists. Then I decided to show him around.

"This is my room." I opened the door.

It was my favourite place, because the window had a gorgeous view to the sun setting. The walls were painted a beachy blue, anything and everything decorating them. Ross looked around, noticing my board leaning behind a pile of books at the end of my desk. "I totally didn't go for a cheeky surf before you came here."

"It's fine." He smiled, then walked to my desk. "What's this?"

He pointed at the binder with my hospital bracelet taped on the front.

"Feel free to open it, but three pages in are photos so I wouldn't be too eager to look past it." I chuckled.

He stared at it with wide eyes, then looked to me. "You died?!"

"Momentarily yes. However long it took them to fill that in." I crossed my legs. "In high school, my drink was spiked. My friends decided to go somewhere else and I went, but on way, I became paralysed right in the middle of the road, taken out by a car at 45mph because he was drunk too. The driver projected me at least 4 metres and he crashed into a tree to his death."

"Damn. You must've came a long way." He said softly.

"Wow."

"What?"

"You were the first person to not accuse me of being a slut for allowing my drink to be spiked." I said quietly.

"It's not like it was your fault." He sat beside me. "Is that what the scar on your chest is?"

I nodded, and he kindly squeezed my hand. I looked to him. "Move in whenever you want."