Chapter Thirteen

Ms. Parker is as frightening as ever.  Her appearance has not changed much since our last encounter so long ago on the beach.  Slicked blonde ponytail, cold blue eyes, and a business dress suit.  She stands in her kitchen's corner, shooting daggers at me from across the room.  Apparently, she hasn't forgotten our incident at the parent meeting either.  Part of me wants to apologize again, to repeat that I didn't mean to ruin her precious paperwork.  But the bigger part of me keeps me rooted in place, trying to ignore her piercing stare. 

            "Isn't this the best food you've ever had?" Cassi asks Jenna, using a much louder voice than necessary.  None of my friends came to this dinner, which left me to sit between my sister and her insufferable 'bestie'.  They've been talking around the back of my head all night. 

            Across the room, Ms. Parker's terrifying grimace instantly disappears and is replaced by an out-of-place smile, beaming at Cassi's compliment.  For the first time since everyone arrived a half hour ago, Ms. Parker moves toward the casual dining table, which seems unnecessarily gigantic for a family of three.  In fact, everything about the house is superfluous.

            Thus far, I have only seen the main entrance areas: A living room, a casual dining room, the kitchen, a formal dining room (because apparently, there's a difference), and the base of a spiraled staircase.  Elegant white couches, zebra print rug, a giant cabinet with fine china decorating the shelves.  Every room is decorated with various types of arts, from abstract paintings and tribal vases.  Nobody questioned whether or not to remove their shoes, they just did.  The white carpets look like they have never been touched, let alone trampled over with the muddy shoes of a swim team. 

            "Cassi," says Ms. Parker, the elated grin still chiseled into her face.  "I haven't seen you here in a while."

            "Yeah."  A forlorn expression falls over Cassi's features.  "Things have been a little off lately, but I'm sure they'll go back to normal soon enough."

             "Of course."  Ms. Parker leans in toward Cassi, and consequently me.  Her voice lowers softly and a motherly tone disguises her usual snottiness.  "Don't worry, he'll come around."

            With another eerie smile, Ms. Parker pats Cassi's shoulder before resuming her stance in the corner.  I feel my cheeks glow with warmth as I realize what their conversation was truly about.  Elliot.  My stomach churns uneasily.  Cassi is obviously on Ms. Parker's good side, which until now, I didn't even know was possible.  There are a few things on my mind now.  First, Cassi has somehow managed to win over Elliot's mother, which means she is definitely more suited to be his girlfriend.  Second, I get the feeling that Elliot has not informed his mother that I will be staying later than most of their guests.

            I shoot Elliot a glare from across the table.  He's sitting at the opposite head of the table with about ten kids between us on either side.  Originally, Elliot tried to sit by me at the beginning of the evening, but I quickly dismissed that idea with a not-so-subtle shake of my head.  Thankfully, he respected my wishes, but that hasn't stopped him from glancing at me about every five seconds.  And now that I'm trying to get his attention, he won't stop talking to the senior boy on his left. 

            "Have all the younger swimmers called their parents to pick them up?" asks Ms. Parker, not waiting a second after we began stacking our plates by the sink.  Her plucked eyebrows shoot up, and her eyes snap from one face to another. 

            Everyone murmurs their answer before awkwardly returning to the casual dining room.  At most team dinners, the host family lets us hang out down stairs and watch a movie or play a game of some sort.  I guess Ms. Parker is not the hosting type.  We haven't been here an hour and she's already scooting us out the door.  By the taut expression on her face, she is more than ready for her pristine house to be vacant.