Ten

"Good morning," Kai calls out when I walk into the kitchen, standing in front of the stove over a pan of sizzling eggs. "Well, good afternoon, I should say."

I don't reply, glancing at the clock to see its one thirty in the afternoon and head over to the fridge. I'm not really in the mood to make friendly conversation with the sociopath, not when I've only woken up about an hour ago and especially not after last night.

"That's a cute look," He comments and instinctively, my eyes travel up to my damp hair and down to the pink camisole and light blue jean shorts I'd borrowed from Jo's closet.

Considering the fact that I haven't had the opportunity to take a hot shower in the midst of the escape plan Kai roped me into, I used Kai's facilities to my advantage and felt much more relaxed after freshening up. Not relaxed enough to pretend like things are okay with Kai and I, however. Although, they never were in the first place.

I ignore him, opening the fridge and studying it for a moment, about to reach for an apple when he interrupts the silence yet again.

"You don't have to do that."

I turn around halfway, raising an eyebrow. "Do what?"

"Find something to eat in the fridge," He clarifies, gesturing toward the frying pan. "I heard the shower, so, you know, figured you'd be hungry when you were done since you never got to eat anything last night."

I purse my lips, glancing at eggs sizzling and crackling in the pan than back at the less appetizing apple before sighing and grudgingly nodding, walking over to the table.

As I take a seat, I notice a small smile playing on his lips and almost scoff. I'm merely giving into my hunger fulfillment needs but he shouldn't get smug and think that this means I'm any more willing to be courteous.

"We don't have much ground to cover today," Kai tells me, while sliding the fried eggs from the pan to a plate and turning off the stove. "We got all the bedrooms, the living room, kitchen, and bathroom. Which leaves the basement, attic, and backyard."

I scrunch my nose at that, not too keen on searching the Parker's basement and attic. Those are the kind of rooms I generally file under the category of avoid and creepy, which admittedly is due to the multiple horror movie marathons Liv and I would sometimes have in my dorm at Whitmore College, when it was a regular Friday night and saving Mystic Falls wasn't on anyone's agenda for once. 

My thoughts drift to simpler days with my friends and family in Mystic Falls, until the sound of a plate being placed in front of me brings me out of my daze. I look down, to find two slices of buttered toast and fried eggs on the side. My stomach growls in anticipation and I pick up the toast, biting into it and almost moaning at the relief of food in my system after not having eaten for nearly twenty-four hours.

I stiffen when he pulls out the chair closest to me and sits down, knowing he isn't likely to allow silence between us. Nonetheless, I dig into my breakfast and pretend he isn't there, staring at me.

"So, what, are you mad at me for what happened last night?" He asks, amused.

I don't reply, picking up my fork and slicing into the egg, watching the yolk ooze out. Of course I'm mad at him. More exasperated than anything, but the sour feeling is still there. I chose to save him from his own actions, helping him when I knew he wasn't in the right mindset, and yet he refused to accept it and threatened me instead.

When I replay last night, his words echo in my head.

"Sleepwalking? That's ridiculous, I haven't sleepwalked since- I mean, I don't. I don't sleepwalk."