Chapter Seven

The shower soothed my nerves, but the moment I stepped out and went into the room to search for the clothing, they began taking their crazed path once again.

There was a dress lying neatly on the bed's edge, appearing elegant in the room. I ran my fingers over the fabric, noting how soft it felt in comparison to the dresses I owned.

There was a pair of sandals at the foot of the bed. They had golden straps while the sandals were white, just like the dress.

I sighed and picked up the dress, surprised by how heavy the garment was. I questioned it once again, wondering just how much money had been placed and seamed into its fabric.

"Rowan, we need to leave soon," Sage called from the other side of the door, his voice expressionless. I glanced at the door in annoyance but didn't bother with a response. I would continue getting ready at this pace whether or not it pleased Sage.

I slid into the undergarments and the dress, both soft against my skin. They fit me perfectly, snug against my body. The white skirt spiraled down and grazed the floor; there was a slit along one side that boldly ended just above my thigh. The golden cord around my waist yearned for attention, bringing color to the dress. It was beautiful, much more so than anything I had ever worn.

I slipped into the sandals, adjusting the straps before taking a few deeps breaths. In just a few minutes, I would be standing in front of the King, someone who was well-known for his fatal temper. If I couldn't keep my own in check, I would perhaps be in serious trouble.

"Rowan," Sage started again and I huffed, swinging the door open before he could finish.

Sage's helmet was off and out of sight, allowing me to see his entire face. He too had cleaned up, based on the lack of dirt on his uniform. His eyes flickered, his mouth closing shut. I felt my body coil as his eyes traveled down, taking in the dress. His eyes finally found their way back to my own where he was met with a steely gaze.

"We should leave," he murmured, but before he could turn from me, I caught the reddening of his cheeks.

As Sage began walking, with me following closely behind, I noticed there were other guards trailing behind. I bit my lip to keep from snapping at them or rudely asking Sage why they were with us. It would only ruin my mood further, which wasn't wise before a meeting with the King.

We had been climbing stairs, but when we reached the top, Sage nodded to the other guards. I looked behind and watched as they nodded back before walking down the stairs, none of them staying.

"The King does not allow anyone within this part of the castle but Shaterria and I," he explained before pausing and added: "Along with yourself now."

I decided not to debate whether that was a good or a bad thing. I didn't think making a decision now would be best. However, a small part of me couldn't help but wonder why they weren't allowed up here.

We made it to the top where Sage unlocked a door, holding it open for me. I hesitated before walking in, noticing we were only in another hall. This one, however, was far less inviting than the others.

The carpet leading down the hall had been destroyed, torn beyond repair. Even the walls looked like a lion had run its claws through it, creating deep gouges. There were dark curtains over the windows, but I could tell that the glass had been broken by the way the drapes rippled from the wind.

"Is it safe?" I asked quietly, unsure whether I could still do this. I did not know what I expected, but it was not this.

"For the moment it is," Sage replied mildly, his words doing nothing to calm my nerves. He started forward but stopped when he noticed I was no longer following him.

"Rowan?" He said, looking at me expectantly.

I tried taking a deep breath and moving forward, but my legs would not allow it. They remained in place, attempting to will my mind back down the stairs. "Sage, I'm deeply sorry, but I do not think—" I started, the words leaving my mouth before I could stop them.

Sage stepped towards me as the words trailed into silence. He searched my eyes as if the answers to my fear lay within them before his hand hesitated, grazing my chin. "Rowan, I would not invite you here if I did not have faith in your abilities," he said softly, his gaze still on me.

"It is not my abilities I worry about," I hissed, pulling away from Sage and turning my back towards him. "It is whether they will work on the King. If they do not, I will be a lifeless corpse," I started, my words becoming quieter as I added, "I may not enjoy this world and some of its inhabitants, but that does not mean I am ready to leave it."

It was quiet for a moment before I felt a hand on my waist, and Sage began turning me back around. His expression was serious, his brown eyes holding sincerity. "Rowan, I will not allow any harm to come in your direction. In his own way, the King will not. He ordered me to stay within the room when you are with him, at all times. He knows I will prevent him from destroying another life. You have to trust me."

I could not tell him, but that was the problem. I didn't trust him. I knew nothing about him or who he was. He was still but a stranger to me, although he seemed to think otherwise. I had never trusted another human with my life, and I wouldn't start now with a mere guard.

When I didn't respond, he sighed, looking up at the ceiling in thought before his eyes drifted back to me. "The moment we leave that room, I will draft up a contract for your forest. I will have the King sign it this very day and announce the new set of rules. All you have to do is meet him."

My eyes flickered before they closed. "Let us go before I decide it is no longer worth it," I said, bracing myself.

"Thank you, Rowan," Sage whispered, but by the time I opened my eyes, he had already turned and began walking towards the door at the end of the hall. I followed behind after a moment, my feet dragging.

Sage reached the door and paused before knocking firmly three times. I waited for some sort of response but only received silence. Was the King in there? Surely he didn't spend all his time in the same room, so it was plausible he left.

"Perhaps he's gone to run an errand," I said to Sage, who only shot me a look before knocking once again.

"Your Highness, it is Sir Coventry. I have come back with the one who has the ability to tame even the wildest of animals," he tried but still, silence was the only one who would respond to him.

"Her name is Rowan and she has dealt with wolves—" Sage started, but a chill went through me when he was interrupted.

"Her?" Was the simple response he received, but it was still enough to scare me.

"Yes, Rowan is female. I know she was rumored to be male, however everything else about her is true," Sage responded and I frowned. I had heard all that was whispered about me, but never the suggestion that I was a male.

There was another moment of silence, and I thought that he would make us stay outside. Just as I started to suggest we try again at another time, King Sandalius spoke once again.

"Come in."

Sage glanced back at me before he turned the doorknob, and the door groaned open. He then took a step inside and, with much reluctance, I did too.