Chapter 6 - Steps To Each Other

"Please put me down, I can walk", I flapped my legs half halfheartedly to come down. Even though it was dark and there were only a few onlookers yet it was embarrassing to be carried the way he was carrying me.

"I am sure you can...it just that I am compensating"

"Compensating??? for what??", I asked in a confused tone.

"I didn't help you carry the bags this morning and you got annoyed so I just thought of making it up to you", he confessed sheepishly.

A smile was dying to hit my lips at his words but I managed to conceal it behind my annoyance.

"What was the need of behaving like that with Dhruv?? It could have been something serious..Kuch ho jata usse toh"

"Are you concerned about him or me?", he asked in an irritated tone.

"BOTH", I said it a little louder than my usual tone and he suddenly stopped and looked at me. It was obvious that he didn't like the answer. But I was in no mood to answer as I had too many questions, "I need an answer Manik...why did you behave like that??", I jerked his collar to make him utter something.

"I...I don't like... him...WITH YOU", he confessed with wandering eyes.

I could see a raw vulnerability in his eyes. I didn't know how should have I reacted to this statement of his but still needed him to answer.

"Kyun??", I asked him in my softest tone.

He gaped at my questioning eyes for a minute and then put me down to stand on my feet, "See if you can walk now".

These sudden behavioural changes in him would kill me some day. But I didn't express my displeasure rather tried moving my foot clockwise and anticlockwise to check if it was fine. Even though it hurt a little but I didn't admit.

"Yes it's okay"

"Fine then go to that shack..", he pointed to one at a little distance, "everyone is having dinner there...go join them", he said and took a step back.

"Where are you going??"

"I will be back in sometime but please be with the group and don't wander alone", he sounded more commanding than requesting.

He left in the opposite direction that I had to take and I kept looking at his retreating footsteps on the sand. Why did I feel like listening to him? When he reacted because I called him a criminal, somewhere I wanted to be proven wrong. Also in the afternoon when he didn't want me to be with Dhruv, I wanted to listen to him nevertheless I never admitted it. With Manik around I was experiencing an array of emotions which was beyond my understanding.

I slowly walked up to the shack to find everyone. I didn't find Navya there but her parents offered me to join them. I politely excused them and came to Mukti, Cabir and Abhimanyu. Cabir gave me a wide welcoming smile, Abhimanyu greeted me formally and Mukti just nodded.

"Hey Nandini please join us", Cabir pulled the chair for me like a true gentleman.

"Thank you Cabir...actually I wanted to ask..Is Dhruv okay now?? I mean his nose..."

"Nandini he is absolutely fine..he has got a dressing done on his nose and now he is resting in his room...don't worry his friends are there with him", he tried to assure me about Dhurv's well being.

"What was with Manik?? Why did he hit the poor chap like that", Abhimanyu seemed upset with Manik's reckless behaviour.

"Chill Abhi he was just playing and you know Manik.. how aggressive he gets during games", Mukti tried to defend the action of her friend.