Chapter One

Chapter One

"Are you nervous, Monica?" Monique asked, as she placed the glass of wine on the wooden desk. Monica sat perfectly on the red plush couch, her legs crossed while they shimmered against the chandelier's lights as she sipped on her white wine. Her brown hair was in a chignon, wisps of hair invisible while her face had no pimple bursting on her face. She wore a bright red lipstick.

She looked so beautiful in Monique's eyes. Monica was her identical twin and she was everything Monique was not. She had frizzy brown hair that did not glow against the light. She was wearing a ponytail but there were still strands of hair floating on her face. Her red lipstick was a little bit sloppy, smudging at the edges of her lips. She bested her face with a concealer to hide the large pimple forming just underneath her lower lip. It looked hideous and even if Monica did not comment on that, she felt uglier than her sister.

"Why should I be nervous?" Monica chuckled, as she took another sip of her wine. "I'm a little excited getting married to the man I love." There was a bright glow in her eyes as she said that. She wore a skimpy short white dress that fell above her knees perfectly as if every curve of the clothing was made for her body. "You should really get yourself a boyfriend."

Monique demurely smiled at her twin sister. Monica was so perfect. She was kind-hearted, beautiful and intelligent. She was the heir to the company their parents created, and she already proved that she could be the candidate for the CEO of the Jones Law Firm. Monique was promised to be the Vice CEO and she was already fine with that. She got used to being the second best after all.

Her cheeks hued into a pink. "I'm not looking for one... yet," she answered shyly, the band of her ponytail snapped into two, her dry hair flowing just past her shoulders. Monica cheekily grinned at her when Monique made all attempts to tie her hair together.

"You should let your hair down more, Monique. You look beautiful, okay?" Monica genuinely complimented and Monique's heart was filled with happiness, like fireworks bloating inside her chest. She loved the way her sister would say things but she doubted if she only said those just to make her feel better. "I mean it," she added.

"It's hot in here," Monique insisted and tried to stand up but she tripped on her heels. She felt pain surging on her knees as her face fell flat on the red carpet of the hotel room. A humoured chuckle echoed in the room. Monica assisted her, lifting her arms. She was still staggering on her feet, smoothing out the white jumpsuit hugging her body.

"You're such a klutz, Monique," Monica teased, pinching her sister's nose. "You'll always be my little sister."

Monique scrunched her nose. "You're only older than me for a minute and fifty-two seconds!" she argued but a playful smile was fighting on her lips. "And you can't pull off that joke when I was your age," she huffed, crossing her arms across her chest.

"Come on, you can't blame me for being your big sister," she teased again but Monique only glared playfully at her. "You should go out and get some drinks."

"What about you?" She didn't want to go to the bar alone. She was sure she couldn't make out a conversation with anyone. If Monica would be there with her, she would feel safe. She wouldn't even bother talking to Monica's newfound friends.

"I want to rest," Monica smiled serenely. "I still have a big day tomorrow."

"If you insist," Monique drawled the words slowly, a pleading smile curving her lips. It would be Monica's last day of being single before she would tie the knot to the man she was with for ten years. They had been high school sweethearts.