Chapter Seven

The frosty breeze whisks across my face and I bolt upright in my bed, clenching and unclenching the sheets frantically. Another nightmare. I can still feel the shattering pain in my neck where a wound should have been but isn't, and that makes it all so much more terrifying. With quick steps, I hurry over to the open, foggy window to lock it, but my hand suddenly freezes on the handle with shock. My eyes widen at the elegant carvings written across the foggy glass panel: buttercup. I blink once, twice, thrice, but it's still there, a big fat bold reminder of those steely eyes with the hints of ocean blue, staring into mine with emotions that I hadn't been able to decipher that night at the party because of the darkness. But now, as I stare at the raw, masculine penmanship, I ache to look into them again and unravel the hidden emotions. I shake my head and rub my temples with a strained groan. This is so wrong; I haven't even properly met the guy! What the hell is wrong with me? I've never been one to crush on random guys because of their good looks.

But oh boy, was he hot. At least of what I had seen in the half-dark room.

I lean out the window and smile when a snowflake dances in the breeze and lands on my outstretched palm. First snowfall of the newly arrived winter. To be precise, the first snowfall at 7:53 in the morning on the 2nd of December. I sigh and close my eyes, letting the soft fall caress my face and leaving soft-biting snow imprints on my skin. School's been out for four days now, and I've been waiting for this change of weather eagerly. The purity of the snow is a welcomed change for my gut-churning dreams that haunt me at night. 

"IT'S SNOWINNNNGGG!!" A very excited little girl comes running in like a crazy woman, eyes wide and hair completely messed up with bows sticking out in every which direction. I pick Mary up lovingly and pinch her rose-bud nose, our usual playful quarrels being momentarily forgotten as we both enjoy the gleaming morning forest gradually getting covered in a white blanket.

"Do you wanna build a snowman?"

"COME ON LET'S GO AND PLAY," Mary finishes in a dramatic squeal and I laugh lightly before sitting down on the window bench, with her still snuggled up in my lap and her blond mass of hair resting on my shoulder. The cool breeze drifts in from behind and carries her light locks softly in the air. 

"You are in big trouble young lady! Mary, come back right this-" Mum walks in with a furious look in her eyes and numerous hair tools in her hands, but stops in her tracks when she sees our position. This is a rare sight after all, but after my nightmares, it's becoming more and more frequent to seek comfort by holding my sister close, or just plainly knowing where she is. 

Has your sister mentioned me at all?

I shudder and shake my head brusquely, and her big blue eyes identical to mine peer up at me curiously underneath fluttering eyelashes. "What's wrong Cami," she whispers innocently. 

"Nothing Mary. We really should go out soon, though. What if the snow melts," I reply softly, and I see out of the corner of my eye that Mum's rigid stance relaxes and a light smile dances on her lips. Mary, though, has a completely different reaction and her eyes go wide with fear as she jumps off of my lap, running over to Mum and proceeding to pull her hand hastily away from my room.

"Come on Mummy! We have to get out before the snow disappears!" 

Mum laughs and sends me a smug grin before she disappears, getting dragged along by the little one. "Will you let me put bows in your hair now then?" I hear her voice inquire, and there's a long silence before Mary's innocent little voice fills the void.

"Let's go now Cami!"

I laugh and let a sigh fall from my lips, standing up and closing the window. I shiver slightly from the cold wooden floor as I pad over to the adjoining bathroom. I close the door and right before it clicks into place, the writing flashes before my eyes and I feel a lustrous pull in my heart that warms it up and replaces me with an indescribable fuzzy feeling. Yup, this is so wrong.