Chapter 13

My name is Dove

My name is Dove

My name is Dove

I repeat it over and over in my head. I am not Mirari, she is too scared. I am not Snow, she was too naive. I am Dove I live a simple life. I am Dove!

That's not going to work you know. Scarlet said, You are being melodramatic. He is our mate, he wouldn't hurt us. WE hurt him by not telling him the truth and running away.

You're not helping I said to her. I felt her shrug then I said, This was not our fault it was his. He attacked us!

He thought we were going to leave him, and we did! She protested.

Only because he attacked us! I responded, coolly.

You can't lie to me! I am a part of you, and as your gifts grow so do I. Scarlet, cried.

I don't have gifts. I said, dishearteningly.

You do too.

They are more like curses.

"Ready to go?" Sparrow said, cutting in with my conversation with Scarlet. About time.

"Ready as I'll ever be." I responded. 

"All right, then." He then started walking towards our home how great it will be to get there. We walked in silence in our large cat forms, each lost in our own thoughts. Unfortunately for me some of the things Scarlet said, brought up some rather nasty memories.

.  .  . 

I was playing in the grass. I was barely five years old, and I chased after my mother as she lead me to our home. It was an old, hollowed out tree. I loved it. I loved the smell of it, the way it felt under my feet, the warmth in winter, the cool in summer. I loved it all.

I stayed outside, playing as my mother the table for dinner. When she came out to get me they appeared. There was a older man and a young boy, about my age. The man and my mother went off together while I stood there looking at me. When our eyes met, I felt a spark. Of what, I didn't know. We were close to one another now, me and him.

We sat together staring into each other's eyes. I liked this boy, and I didn't even know why. That's when my mother returned. She realized something I didn't, something I couldn't see yet. She hissed at the boy. He ran away hurriedly, hiding behind the man. She said something to him and he didn't move.

I saw her shift. I remember the look on the man's face, and the look on the boys. The man looked at her, pushed the boy away, him to run. I saw my other attack the man and the boy running away. My mother, killed a man that day. She chased after the boy but couldn't find him.

She later sat down with me and said the man was trying to hurt us. She was forced to protect us. Now I know that's not the truth. She also whispered something else in my ear that day.

"Mirari." She said, "I will not always be around to protect you." 

I nodded fiercely to show I understood, but I truly didn't.

My mother got really close then, and whispered in my ear, in a very sing song like way,"If you ever see that boy again, run. If you ever feel your heart skip a beat, put it back in place, if you ever start to swoon try to stand up straight. Now Mirari, you must always remember theses words: for you must never fall in love."

"But why Momma?" 

"If you ever let love take root in your heart. You shall feel real good at the start. Then you'll shake and break and lose control. Now you have a gift, so don't it let it take this toll.  Now if you do by chance, fall in love I must warn you of the toll. No gift, no cat, no more love after that."

"Whats my gift, Momma?"

"Mirari, my child, just remember your name. It will guide you through the pain."

That was all she said. No more, no less. She never acted like that again. I never knew why. Not until now.

.  .  .

I stopped dead in my tracks. I needed to go back. I need him. Even with all the terrible warnings my mother had given, I had still fallen and love. He was my mate after all. I only hoped he would forgive me. So without a word, I turned around and ran back to the pride.