[130]

Do not fall in love with anyone that is perfect.

Fall in love with the cracks in their foundation, the holes in the walls, and the sharpness of their edges.

Fall in love with them as they jolt awake in the middle of the night, take up every possible surface of the bed, and forget to shut off the lights when all is dark.

Fall in love with the roughness of their hands, the wrinkle in their shirts, and they are too lazy to do their laundry.

Fall in love with their stories—the ones they're afraid you'll judge them for, their little white lies, and the way they act to prove their words.

Let them reveal their battle wounds. You don't have to try to fix them, they are strong enough to carry them. Just don't use it to hold them back. Fall in love with their weakness and fall in love with their strength.

Fall in love with their old habits of biting their nails when they're bored, the way they blabber when they're nervous, and how they can't seem to decide on anything at all.

Fall in love with them because they cannot be tamed. Let them roam wild. Let them be free. Let them fly. And let them love.

Fall in love with them because there is more than the perfection they wish to be.

Do not fall in love with someone that is perfect. 

- Excerpt from a black leather notebook #3 by Ming D. Liu