Chapter 29.

"Fuck.

"You know what irony is?"

I recognized the voice of Scootaloo. Even though it was raspy. Even through all her coughing, and the mad clicking, and the roar of the wind all around her.

"Irony is that it feels I spent my whole damned childhood trying to get my cutie mark, and I don't have it anymore.

"Irony is that I spent most of the last decade working to save Equestria from a megaspell end-of-the-world..." Scootaloo's voice cracked, followed by a barrage of wet, raspy coughs. "...and then it happened and I wasn't even fucking here. Broke my damn wing in a stupid damn accident while practicing a new routine for the damn GALLoPS. By the time I got out of the Hanovaerian pegasus clinic, it was all over.

"Irony is that I'm the one who made Sweetie Belle the Overmare of Stable Two. I was beginning to worry about her. Now, she's probably the only one of us who has survived. I..."

The recording was interrupted by another fit of coughing.

"...Apple Bloom was s'posed to be in Fillydelphia. Can't even get near that place. A pony would die from the radiation in minutes. I actually considered banging a hoof on Stable Two's door... but then I saw all the bodies. Sweetie Belle did right. Didn't open the door for anypony. Can't let this poison in. Contaminate that whole Stable. If I knocked, Sweetie Belle just might open the door for me. And I can't let that happen.

"Fuck.

"I'm giving up my PipBuck. Leaving it here with this message. I figure, if Apple Bloom survived, she'll come looking here. If not, somepony else will. Besides, I'm sick of it clicking. I don't need it yelling at me that the snow is radioactive and that I'm breathing poison. The air is fucking green..." More coughing. "'Cept for those weird pink swirls comin' off of Canterlot. When you can see the air, you know it's bad...

This time, the coughing fit lasted minutes.

"Fuck. That's blood. That's so not good.

"They kept telling us the cloud curtain was for our own protection. Keeping the radiation and megaspell pollution from getting into pegasi cities. Who knew that they were telling the truth? Fuckers said the brand is to mark me as somepony who's been below. Contaminated. Now I know that's horseapples. Told them... heh. Told them I was proud of what Rainbow Dash did. Called myself a Dash-ite. Boy, that got their feathers in a bunch.

"Irony is... I worked really hard to find a better way. Some kinda society or government or something that would be better. Wouldn't make the same damn mistakes that killed everypony. And I get trapped up there with a whole slew of ponies who seem dedicated to finding the worst way ever. Even I wouldn't have tried an experiment like the 'Enclave'... the Stables aren't set up to fail. Hell, I give the Enclave a few months at most."

Scootaloo's voice stopped. But no cough this time. Just harsh breathing. After a moment, she continued.

"If you find this... before I'm gone..."

She was cut off by an explosive cough, followed by several moments of silence. Then a groan.

"If you find this... there's a shack marked on it. I traced Rainbow Dash to there. I think she's living there... or was recently. Wasn't there when I looked. But I'm headed back. Going to wait there... hope she returns.

"I should be there for her. Like she's with me. Somepony should be there..."

Scootaloo coughed one final time.

"Just want Dash to know... we didn't all...

"She's not alone."

*** *** ***