33 All I Ask Of You (Reprise)

Erik~~

Through the windows in the French door, I watch her walk away. My heart tightens, but it had to be done.

Bently sidles up to me. "Even I feel bad for her." He takes a sip of his brandy. "I don't know if I should be insulted you sent her away."

I roll my eyes.

"Tell me it wasn't only because of my mother, right?"

I'm silent.

"You can't hide her from the Amoris, Erik. She's had to have encountered them over a hundred times already. I'll be the first to admit that I don't like her, but you give her far less credit than she deserves." He snorts. "No wonder she prefers Jonas to you."

"Have you ever considered talking to someone who actually wants to listen to you?"

His brown eyes narrow. "At least it's not me our cousins can't stand to be in the same room as." He leaves, headed in the direction of Seong-ho and Percy.

I don't even get a moment of peace before Colton comes up behind me. "She was supposed to be here. Abella and Alix asked for her." It's not dangerous though for Alix and Abella to lock eyes with an Amoris. I've never even heard them question the purple eyes, though that's probably only because they're far too polite at times.

I watch her walk into the maze. At this distance she's barely more than a shadow.

I could really use a drink.

It's not like I can be sure my cousins won't cause her to trip if it means she might lock eyes with an Amoris.

Better Iris believes she's unwanted than for her to be in danger.

"She can meet with them later."

"I hope you don't stay up at night wondering why she prefers my brother to you."

"I'm not interested in getting advice about women from the boy whose girlfriend tried to overthrow him and the government."

Colton tenses.

Maybe I should go after her. Apologize. Then I could explain why I did what I did. Instead of being angry with me, she'll be grateful that I saved her yet again.

"Give the prince and princess my regards." I push open the door and cut across the grass to get to the maze. It's faster than taking the path.

I'll try to intercept her in the maze, then she'll have to listen to me. If I call for her, she'll only do her best to avoid me.

But if I can just explain, she'll understand. She has to.

Once I enter the maze, I use the light from my phone to find the prints her heels left in the dirt.

I'm almost to where the maze opens into a courtyard when I hear, "Alevia qui quotes moleve qui soleil."

I think I might love you.

I take a step back.

He couldn't possibly. It hasn't even been that long.

Careful to stay as much in the shadows as possible, I look around the opening in the hedge. Iris and Jonas stand there staring into each other's eyes. It's enough to make me gag.

"You used to want to destroy the Society. What do you want now?"

"I wish I could help you change it into the vision I see when I look at you. I won't use this to hurt you. No matter where I am, it will remain my secret."

When I met her, she wanted to destroy the Society, but a few pretty words from my cousin and she's ready to give up making the Society pay for what they did to her?