7. Brain Waves

On the first of July, I moved to my new apartment

On the first of July, I moved to my new apartment. I'd never been so excited about a new place before. Maybe that was because all of my other apartments, besides the tiny efficiency unit I was leaving, had been shared with college room-mates. This felt like my first grown-up place, and I was still thrilled that I could afford a place with such a great view and in a safe neighborhood.

Bridget, Kane, and Kane's friend Darius helped me move. I didn't have much, so we were done by lunch time. Bridget went out to get tacos for us and the guys started to help me unpack boxes. Kane pulled out my birch trunk candle holders and asked, "Why on earth do you have logs in this box?"

I laughed and pulled one out of his hand. I dug into the box, pulled out a wax pillar, and set it inside of the hollowed end of the log. "It's called a candle holder," I said sarcastically.

"Honey, this ain't Little House on the Prairie," Darius said with a teasing grin.

"I happen to like rustic décor," I said defensively, but I wasn't really offended. In fact, I was quickly realizing why Kane and Darius were such good friends. It made me wonder what Kane's boyfriend was like, because he and Darius seemed so much more suited to each other, although I had no idea whether Darius was gay.

"Whatever works for you, as long as you don't have to use an outhouse," Kane teased.

"No, only when I'm at home in Wisconsin," I replied, sticking my tongue out at him.

Kane laughed, shaking his head. "You are going to have to grow up a little if you want to land Mr. Tall, Dark, and Loaded."

"Try Tall, Dark, and Crazy," I said, rolling my eyes. "I think that ship has sailed. I don't want to deal with his emotional swings. You know what he's like!" I fell onto the couch, slumping back into a corner. "But, god, why does he have to be so magnificent?" 

"Ellie, Ellie, Ellie," Kane chided, slouching deep into the couch. "First you don't want your ex stalking you, now you're going to let a little thing like insanity stop you from getting the hottest guy ever? Your standards are too high."

"Shut up," I laughed, punching Kane's thigh. Realizing how good it felt to laugh, I indulged in a few more giggles. "I'm thankful for friends like you. If I didn't have anyone to make me laugh, I think I'd curl up in a ball and die."

"Dramatic much?" Darius chimed in.

"I'm an extrovert!" I yelled. "I need people, and I need to laugh. Don't you?" 

"Everyone needs to laugh," Darius agreed. 

We continued unpacking while we listened to some retro. I moved into the kitchen and opened a box of utensils. I pulled out a wooden spoon and started singing along to the music. "Whoa-oh, we're half-way there, whoa-oh, livin' on a prayer, take my hand and we'll make it, I swear-"

"Tone down the Def Leppard, sweet cheeks," Darius laughed. "This is a classy place. Your neighbors ain't gonna like you serenading them twenty-four-seven."