Chapter 94

Hey Dad,

It's me, Lainey. It's about that time again. I've actually been meaning to write you for a little while now. I guess I've been too busy regretting all of the times I wished Sancova was a more exciting place to live. Whoever was listening surely delivered.

But I guess it's not all bad. I met a really nice guy. His name's Benjamin. I like him. I mean, a different kind of like. Different than how I felt about Eric. Incomparable. With Eric, I admit that I moved too fast. I WANTED someone to love. Needed someone to fill the void you left after you passed away. My relationship with Eric was anything but genuine. But with Benjamin . . . it's magnetic! Intense! It's freaking magic! I didn't even like him at first and was even in denial about my feelings for a while.

But they were there. And they were REAL.

I think I'm in love, Dad. I know, I know, you think I'm too young to know what love is. Well, if it's anything like my feelings for Benjamin, then I get the hype.

Okay, enough of my gushing!

Mom is doing okay. She was in a car accident recently--nothing serious (thank God!) and even sick for a while before that. But she seems to be better now. I think what Mom needs is a really long vacation; she's always working and she just deserves it.

She told me about your affair, Dad. What the hell were you thinking? Seriously! Was it worth it? Hurting Mom like that? Telling her you were in love with another woman? Was it true? Did you really fall in love with Beverly? Or was that just an excuse to justify your cheating? CHEATING, Dad! That doesn't sound like the dad I used to know. When I saw you and Mom together, I could only hope to find something half as real.

You really hurt me, Dad. I didn't believe Mom when she first told me about the affair. But the tears I saw in her eyes at the hospital were painful and honest. I was SO ANGRY WITH YOU!!! I wanted nothing more than to tell you how much you fell from the pedestal I used to put you on. But Benjamin was right--I'd only be doing it to hurt you and that wouldn't solve anything.

I'm writing this letter to let you know I forgive you, Dad. And I think Mom does, too. Hell, she's handling it better than I am. I'm still mad at you, though. I'm not sure if that actually means I DON'T forgive you. Can you forgive someone and still be mad at them? I don't know, but I'm being honest. I'm mad as hell at you. Maybe that will go away in time. When it does I'll be sure to write you again. As for now, I think this will be the last letter I write you for a while. You hurt me deep.

I guess it's kinda my fault for seeing you as more than a man. You were a hero. A superhero. Mom's wearing the cape now. She's been wearing it since you passed away. And she's been wearing it well.

We're doing okay, Dad. Mom and I--we make a pretty badass team. She takes care of me and I do my best to take care of her. As long as we have each other, we'll always be okay.

Talk soon, Dad. Maybe.

                                                   -Lainey

Lainey read the letter to herself twice before she sealed it in an envelope and placed it in her plaid-patterned box. Since he passed away, she'd written him several letters she knew would never reach him. But she continued to write them because it healed her faster than time did--and she was good at it.

She placed her box under her bed and sat up, looking out the window. It was getting dark. About seven hours until midnight.

Until Benjamin faced Ulysses Morrison.

She got to her feet and made her way into the hallway before Mom's bedroom and peeked inside. She was still asleep. If she really was supernaturally cursed, there was no better place to be than at home in bed. At least Lainey didn't have to worry about Mom for the rest of the day.