Chapter Thirty: Making Up

I took a deep breath as I turned off the car, slipping on my gloves before I stepped out into the bitter February air. It was Monday morning and I was at the rehab facility that my mom was at, going to speak with the woman in charge of the place.

"How may I help you?" the receptionist greeted as I walked into the lobby.

"I'm Tessa Walters, I'm here to see Dr. Robins, I called her earlier and she told me to come in to talk with her," I replied.

"Alright, I'll just need to see your driver's license and then if you would step right over there and get a photo taken for an ID," she said, taking my license from me before I stepped to the side of the desk, "Dr. Robins' office is at the end of the hall."

"Thank you," I said as the doors into the offices were opened.

I took another deep breath as I knocked on the majestic wooden door at the very end of the hallway.

"Come in," Dr. Robins said.

"Hi, Dr. Robins, I'm Tessa Walters, I spoke with you on the phone," I said as I opened the door.

"Come in Miss Walters!" she said, "Go ahead and shut the door. Now, you said your mother was here, Leslie, correct?" 

"Yeah," I replied, "Leslie Walters."

"And you said on the phone that you wanted to talk to me about the transfer process?" she asked as I sat down across from her.

"Yes," I replied.

"Why do you want your mother transferred?" she asked.

"She needs to be away from me and the rest of my family," I replied, "She can't be near us, we don't want her in our lives and she needs to go somewhere where she doesn't have that distraction of us around her. I don't know how much is on her official record but it more than likely isn't the whole story."
"How about you tell me your story then," she remarked.

"That's a really long story," I sighed.

"I have all day," she smiled.

###

"Thank you for listening," I said at least an hour later after I finished talking with Dr. Robins.

"Not a problem Miss Walters," she said, "We typically only get the information that the court provides us here, it usually isn't the whole story, especially when there's a plea deal involved. Now, I need you to type me up a statement detailing your relationship with your mother and what happened, what you just told me. I'll present it to a judge and they will order a transfer and more than likely an order of protection to keep her away from you."
"Thank you so much," I said.

"Not a problem," she said, "She shouldn't be a problem anymore, she has very limited free time. If she bothers you, give me a call."

"Thank you so much," I said, getting up from my seat.

"Not a problem," she smiled as I walked out of the office.

I let out a deep sigh of relief as I walked out to Taylor's car that he had let me borrow for the afternoon. It was a huge weight off of my chest, not only the fact that I was one step closer to getting my mom away from me for a while but also that I had told someone the entire story of what had happened 12 years ago. Not even Taylor knew everything that happened with my mom.

"How was your meeting?" Taylor asked as we sat in the student center eating lunch.

"It was good," I replied, "I just have to type up a statement and get it to Dr. Robins and she'll present the case to a judge and the judge will more than likely have my mom transferred somewhere else."