Chapter 24

Adelaide, Rebekah and Hayley were talking after Adelaide had left the attic. When she heard a car aproach, she excused herself and went up the stairs to her room with a balcony. The balcony was shared with Hayley and not too long after Elijah walked in, Hayley came up. Slightly smiling before looking over the plantation. 

"You think he'll be back for good now? I wouldn't blame him if he left now." Hayley said. 

"No." Adelaide answered. "I'm quite sure he'll stay after all he made you a promise and if there is anything that Elijah keeps, it's his word." 

"I also have a pregnant fiancée here and a niece on the way." Elijah explained, coming onto the balcony. 

"I'm not your fiancée, girlfriend at most." Adelaide argued. 

"Yeah, we'll see about that." Elijah said, kissing the side of her head before stepping in front of her. 

"You're back." Hayley said. 

"I'm back." Elijah repeated with a grin. 

That smile was quickly wiped of his face when Hayley slapped him. "Don't make promises you can't keep." Adelaide stood there, watching her turn to leave with her mouth shaped in an 'O', before Hayley turns back to Elijah for a second. "Welcome home." She walked away after that. 

Elijah turned to Adelaide after that. "She reminds me of someone I once knew." Elijah said while creeping closer to her. 

Adelaide wrapped her arms around his neck. "Is that so? Who does she remind you of?" 

"A girl I knew when I was human. She used to be like that. Bitchy attitude but total darling as well. She is the woman I loved." 

Adelaide's mouth formed into an 'O' again when she playfully hit his chest with wide eyes. "That is so not- I did not have a bitchy attitude." 

Elijah arched a brow as he stepped closer to her and wrapped his arms around her waist. "Is that so? So you never did anything bitchy like, oh I don't know, threaten Tathia?" 

"That was not bitchy, that was me looking out for you. That was me being a good friend." Adelaide explained, wrapping her arms around his neck again. "How did you get the witch so far to do magic by the way?" 

"Who? Dav-" 

"Not Davina. The witch making the cement dry faster at our new home." Adelaide explained. 

"Aha, she does not practice ancestoral magic." Elijah said, kissing Adelaide's neck. 

"So she can't be detected... I thought that every witch from the coven here practised ancestoral magic." Adelaide said confused. 

"From the coven here... Lucy is not from the coven here, in fact, she is distant family of the Bennet witch in Mystic Falls." 

"No way! Lucy is a cousin of Bonnie?" Adelaide gasped. 

Elijah nodded. "She is. Do we have to stand out here? I was thinking of doing something very different the first night I was reunited with my darling fiancée." 

"Girlfriend." She muttered. "What were you thinking of doing when you returned?" 

"Something that involves you, me, a bed and a lot less clothes. It's been ages, darling... I want you- need you- again." 

Adelaide smirked. "Well then, I am not stopping you." 

... 

After their real reunion, Adelaide sat on Elijah's lap in the living room. 

"Eight months ago, Sophie Deveraux and her sister Jane-Anne lost everything. Now, four months after that, a young pregnant girl wanders into their restaurant. Suddenly, all hope is renewed. Jane-Anne actually sacrificed her life so that her sister can use you to find Davina. If Sophie Deveraux is successful in capturing Davina, she can return Jane-Anne's daughter back to life. We thought we'd come here to wage a war for power. This is about family. In order to return her niece to life, Sophie Deveraux will fight to the death." Elijah said. 

"That makes her more dangerous than anyone." Adelaide added. 

"Well, isn't that lovely... And she is linked to baby momma over there?" Rebekah asked. 

"Well, that isn't going to last long." Adelaide said. "Elijah, we told a certain young witch we'd help with her evergrowing power. What do you think we'll teach her first? An unknotting spell or a detecting spell, perhaps a boundation spell?" 

Eljiah's smirk grew. "I think we'll start a simple unknotting spell indeed." 

Klaus frowned. "What are you two up to?" 

"Maybe it's time for us to be the misschievous people." Elijah said, not looking at his brother. 

Niklaus looked at Adelaide who just sat there with a silent smirk before she got her Grimmoires and left to go to the room, Elijah quick on her tale.

...

The day after that, Adelaide left the house for a couple of hours to handle something with Davina and left Elijah at the plantation. Unbeknowest to her Elijah was going through Esther's grimmoire and Niklaus was reading the tale of the 'Fruit of the Poisoned Tree'. 

Rebekah walked in and internally groaned at her two brothers sitting silently reading. "So, this is what you do the first time we're back together as a family? Vampire book club?" 

" Reading edifies the mind, sister. Isn't that right, Elijah?" Niklaus said without looking up from his book. 

"Yes, that's quite right, Niklaus." Elijah said, also not looking up from the grimmoire. 

"And what's this business?" Rebekah asked, gesturing to a dead girl on the coffee table bleeding out. 

"That is a..." He gestured as if looking for the right word, "...peace offering."

"I presumed, after so much time desiccating in a coffin, that my big brother might be a bit peckish."

"And I explained to my little brother that forgiveness cannot be bought. I'd simply prefer to see a change in behavior that indicates contrition and personal growth." He gestured to the girl on the table. "Not this nonsense." 

" Well, I couldn't very well let her go to waste, could I?" Niklaus grinned. 

"Well, I suppose I'll go fetch the rubbish bin, because she's staining a two hundred-year-old carpet." 

Finally, Elijah looked up at the girl and simply said "Ah yes." 

Hayley came in and went to the kitchen and Niklaus saw his brother following her. He knew his brother loved Adelaide and wouldn't leave her again- because let's be honest; she still hadn't forgiven him yet and he knew it- but the girl was carrying his child. How could he not feel the jealous pang in his chest when he saw his brother jumping up to help her at the first sight of her. 

But, he'd just have to live with it.