-Chapter 33-

"Oh, that's not fair!" Charlie says, blushing during our game of truth or dare. It had been Charlie's idea to play the game, but now, in the heat of the moment, he looks very uncomfortable. So far, he has been the butt of every joke, and this truth question is no exception.

  "Do I need to repeat the question?" Kane asks, rubbing his fingers along his chin. "Have you ever dated multiple girls at once? I'm asking because I know the answer," Kane smirks, sitting back, waiting for a response.

  "Okay, the answer is yes, but there's a great story behind it," Charlie admits, shrugging.

  "Okay," Paul says. "I have one for Charlie. Truth or dare?"

  "I have to go again?" Charlie groans. "Why don't you guys pick on the birthday boy?" Then-grumbling-he adds, "Dare."

  Paul gives me a wink, and I'm worried to hear what comes next. "You have your choice. You can lay a big fat kiss on this girl over here," He says pointing to me. I feel my heart accelerate. Paul has to be kidding. He wouldn't make us do that. "Or, you can dump this cup of punch over your head."

  "Paul," Kane says, warningly. "That's not fair to bring Felisha into this. It's not her dare."

  "Well I'd say that kissing her is a way better option than dumping red dye mixed with water over my gelled head," Charlie says, as he turns toward me. "Sorry sweetheart, it's the only option."

  I squirm in my seat. They must all be pulling some weird prank on me. This isn't right. I shouldn't have to kiss Charlie. Kane speaks up again, but I can tell no one's listening. Before I can protest, Charlie steps forward, and kisses me square on the lips, then steps back with a triumphant grin. "You guys are pathetic at coming up with dares. That was easy."

  I sit back, still slightly startled by the kiss. Charlie has always been pretty professional, up until now. And I'm not only uncomfortable, I'm embarrassed. Kane stands, and comes to take a seat next to me. He pats my knee, and I sigh, looking up.

  "I'm sorry about that. He doesn't think before he acts. I should've stopped him," Kane says. There he goes again, taking all of the guilt on himself, even though it really isn't that big of a deal. It just made me uncomfortable, and I personally know Charlie didn't intend to make me feel that way.

  "It's okay," I say, grabbing his hand. "It's not like you were the one who did the kissing," I say, then stop, feeling my stomach drop. That was a completely dumb thing to say. Kane laughs, and I feel my cheeks warm up.

  "No, I suppose not," He says, and I laugh too, hoping to hide my discomfort. That was a really dumb thing to say.

  "I'm sorry," I say. "That was a dumb thing to say."

  Kane laughs. "Not dumb, exactly. It was a true statement."

"Amelia, this isn't working," I say to her as I look at my reflection in the mirror. Kane had found some women's clothes on the street that someone had been selling, hoping for a dollar or two in return. 'The best part was', he had said, 'they were almost brand new.' But now, standing in front of the mirror, I notice that the shirt is too tight, and the paints are too wide at my waist.

  "It's the thought that counts right?" I say to her, running my hand across her belly, waiting for her to giggle. She does, and I smile, reaching for the door. "He said to come show him when I tried them on. Let's see if he sees the issue too."

  I grab Amelia, laying her head against my shoulder. We walk down the hall towards Kane's office. I stop short when I hear two voices talking quietly. This seems to be a routine now. Every time I stop by to see Kane, he is in the middle of a discussion. Usually about me, and this time is no exception.