Chapter 8

Brendan's POV

Crap.

I was kissing my mate, the enemy. My wolf couldn't control himself around her anymore, and when she got up to leave after the funeral, he decided I had to go after her. I was personally still furious that she had managed to escape me, hurting my ego in the process. My mate wasn't something that should run away from me, out of all things.

I should stop this, she wasn't even responding to me, standing still with her back pressed against the tree. I pushed myself off of her, and something flashed in her eyes, but I dispersed quickly. As soon as she turned away from me, I knew that even though I may blame her for many things, I couldn't blame her from walking away from me, but that doesn't mean I couldn't do anything to stop it.

I reached out for her arm, and she flinched away. It hurt to see her like this, scared of me. My mate continued to walk away, her steps echoing as she stepped on leaves. I watched as she hurried to my grandmother, Caroline. My grandma's arms wrapped around her, comforting her, doing the one job I was supposed to do. I don't even know my mate's voice, and I already screwed everything up.

All I wanted since I was little was to have someone to love me, and someone I could love so many times more. Now, she was finally here, and she didn't want me, I could see. I waited all of my life for nothing. Nothing but a mate that hates me and wants to be as far away as possible.

I trudged my way home, lost in my own troubling thoughts. Before I knew it, I was back at my porch step, resting my forehead against the door. Rain had started sprinkling around me, as I watched the droplets splattered onto the concrete, making weird shapes. Pushing the door open, I collapsed on the couch, today being too much for me to handle.

First, I had to deal with the fact that my dad's funeral was today, then I had to deal with the torturous scent of my mate, which was the most heavenly thing I have ever come to know, trying my hardest not to mark her right then and there. When she almost got in the car, driving off with not even glancing at me, I knew that I wouldn't be able to let that happen, not again.

I finally reached her, ignoring the way she tried to wiggle out of my hold. The next thing I knew, she was gone, sprinting off towards the forest, disappearing underneath the towering trees. I was too busy arguing with Gran to notice, questioning her why she kept a rouge, and my mate, hidden for so long. For her to feel comfortable enough around my mate spoke volumes; she hadn't trusted anyone enough to defend them for a very long time. Speaking up to the Alpha was a bold thing for her to do, she knew the limits of disrespect, and she was crossing them when it came to my mate.

I was shocked at first, my grandma was many things, but she was not a liar, not for as long as I have known her. She was always brutal and upfront with her honesty, a refreshing trait that I had always admired. Lying to me put a little crack in my trust in her, I thought we could always tell each other everything.

Even more shocking was that I hadn't seen her, my mate. I was assuming that she was living with my grandma, where else would she stay? I had been to her house many times over the past few weeks, mostly to comfort her about my father.

Dad.

There was no way to describe the pain you feel over losing a parent. It feels as if someone was ripping out a chunk of I your soul. Everyday, I lived in pain, always hoping he would walk back through the door with papers in his hands, wanting a kiss from all of his kids.

Anger filled me, almost becoming blinding rage. None of this wouldn't of happened if it wasn't for that dammed rouge, the one that escaped all boundaries, slipping by so many guards. At first, I thought my mate was the rouge, but I quickly realized that was impossible. No one that should love me would do this. This rouge was not my mate, this rouge killed my dad, and so many other pack's citizens.

I refused to believe that my mate could cause this much damage. My heart just wouldn't let me. The minute I saw her, falling from that tree, with all of those cuts and bruises, I knew she was all mine. Naked, but all mine. Boy, the jealousy that filled me when my beta, Joey, caught her, thankfully, but then starting to growl at her, was almost enough to start World War Three. It only doubled when he dropped her on the ground, no doubt hurting her more.

I had scooped her into my arms, relishing the feeling of my mate with me. It's something I've waited for, but then, the next thing I knew, I was on the ground, clutching you know what. The sadness of my wolf howling was enough to make me want to shift, so I was only left with one option. I knew she didn't want me, not nearly as much as I longed for her. I wouldn't force myself and her to deal with that kind of pain. As much as it broke my heart, I let her go.

Succumbing to dream land, I realized a startling thought before letting my mind wander into the nightmares sure to come. I didn't know my mate's name. I've been calling her by she, and similar terms, just like an object. I let out a remorseful sigh, I was turning more like my father day by day.

Before my eyelids finally shut closed, I made a promise;

Nothing would stop me from seeing my mate tomorrow. Nothing.

***

So we finally got a little POV from Brendan! I love his sensitive heart, don't you? All of the feels rolled into one guy.
Comment, I love to hear what you guys have to say!

Peace and chicken grease,
-neary17