1.4

❀Courtney's P.O.V❀

To say it's awkward being in the same room as Alexander, is an understatement.

"How's school, kids?" Mr. Mendoza asks us and I finish chewing my toast before I swallow.

"School's good, I guess." I answer, shoveling some eggs into my mouth.

"Good." Is Alexander's simple response and his dad nods his head, before he sips on his morning coffee.

He checks his wrist watch, setting the mug down on the table. "You two better hurry, school starts in ten minutes."

I widen my eyes, quickly standing up from my seat and I hurriedly put my plate in the dishwasher, before giving my mom a quick kiss on the cheek. "I'm going to be late. Love you, bye."

She chuckles as she waves at me. "Love you too."

I pick up my backpack from the ground and throw it over my shoulder, rushing towards the door.

"Alexander can give you a ride." Mr. Mendoza's voice stops me in my tracks and I mentally wince. "I'm sure he won't mind."

"I won't, but I'm taking my bike today." Alexander interjects.

"No, thank you." I answer, not bothering to turn around. "I'd much rather be late." I mutter to myself, fixing the strap on my shoulder.

"What was that?" Alexander's voice sounds from beside me and I jump up in horror, turning my head to face him.

"I said, no thank you."

"I heard that." He tells me. "I meant the part that you whispered."

I ignore him and continue to make my way towards the door, exiting the house and walking down the pathway.

"Are you sure you don't want a ride?" He asks me as he closes the door behind him and I turn on my heel.

"I would much rather be late than be in the same car as you." I tell him, watching him twirl his keys around his index finger.

"I'm taking my bike."

I snort. "Yeah, not happening."

"Okay, see you in school then." He says and I roll my eyes as I begin to rush towards school.

By the time I get to the front of our neighbor's house, Alexander is already making the engine to his motorcycle roar as he speeds off towards school.

With a huff, I fix my strap on my shoulder one last time and continue to make my way towards school.

* * *

"You have detention?" Emily asks me, scoffing when the teacher tells her to keep quiet.

"Yeah." I whisper, not taking my eyes away from my textbook.

"That sucks."

"Ms. Ryder." The teacher snaps at her, and she turns to look at him.

"Yes, Mr. Lamenter?" She replies in an innocent voice and I turn to raise an eyebrow at her.

What is she up to?

"Have you finished reading the story I assigned?" He asks her.

"Did you know that part of your name, lament, means; to regret deeply?" She questions, ignoring him, and my eyes widen as I can already sense a comment of pure savageness coming out of her mouth. "I have a feeling that you regret that haircut; it doesn't make an effort to hide that bold spot, sir."