Different Sense: 40

The group had travelled for a day before setting up camp. It was silent, there were very little words spoken.

Truth be told, when Bilbo awoke in the morning he didn't ever remember going to sleep in the first place. He had woken up with an ache in his back, he was missing the bed he had back in Lake Town round about now. Realising he couldn't get back to sleep he took to folding up his bed roll and packing everything away.

When he was almost done he looked up when two shadows stretched across the ground. Looking up he glanced quickly at Thorin and then up at Gandalf.

“Halfling,” Thorin nodded.

“Good morning, Bilbo.” Gandalf dipped his hat and smiled down at him.

Bilbo drummed his fingers on his bed roll, which was all rolled up by now. Looking between them again he raised an eyebrow. "What do you mean? Do you wish me a good morning or do mean it is a good morning whether I want it or not? Or are you simply saying that you feel good this morning or that simply this is a morning to be good on?" Gandalf's smile widened as he winked down at Bilbo, Bilbo in return stood up and bowed. “How can I help this morning?”

“It appears that we have made it further up in our days travel than what we thought we would do in two.” Gandalf explained with a light frown.

Thorin could see Gandalf's pondering, and just cut to the chase. “The entrance to the mountain is over that cliff face over there. But I wish to use the back entrance.”

Gandalf gave a nod, thankful for Thorin's simple explanation. “It would be a wise move.”

“Yes,” Thorin continued. “We can travel around, it may take us all morning but we will reach the entrance before the end of this day.” His voice sounded distantly, Bilbo's happy expression had slipped and he now looked extremely concerned.

“You...you mean to take on Smaug today.” Bilbo stated.

“I do.” Thorin's blunt voice replied.

“Remember what I told you about courage, Bilbo Baggins.” Gandalf said quietly to him.

Bilbo just looked up at the mountain and then to everyone else, he just gave a slow nod.

“Good,” Thorin turned on his heels and marched away, he didn't say anything else to either of them. Gandalf reached down and gave an encouraging pat on Bilbo's back, it was an action which wasn't really encouraging, or as encouraging as it could have been.

“Don't despair, Bilbo. I believe you are much braver than what you believe.” Gandalf said, Bilbo looked up at him. “I am more than aware of what deeds you have done for Thorin already, and may I be the first to tell you that he speaks of you as a hobbit in the highest regards. He is grateful.”

“Can he not just say that to me? It would make me feel a whole lot better.”

“Thorin?” Gandalf glanced quickly at the King. “No,” he dragged the word out. “But I will be by your side all the while, Bilbo Baggins.” Bilbo lifted his head up and looked over the mountain, he was fearful now. The top seemed to disappear within the clouds. A niggling feeling in the pit of his stomach sent a message to his brain; he knew, deep down, that Smaug was awake and awaiting for them inside.

----

Bilbo and Dori stood at the entrance and looked upon the hordes of gold, Bilbo had never seen so much gold before in his life. The gold piece rolled and slopped, they looked like hills made up purely of a precious metal.

Bilbo was sure that if anyone would step on the gold, they'd just sink in like anyone would sink into the water of a river. He stared for a long time, he had almost forgotten why he was there for but suddenly he shuddered. He remembered.

His breath hitched and his heart rate quickened. Bilbo's main objective was to locate the whereabouts of the Arkenstone. Once he got it, if he could get it that is, he would leave the dragon to clash against the dwarves.

Bilbo had spotted one thing on his objective list, but the other – the other being Smaug – was still hidden from view. Smaug would undoubtedly be the main challenge to this. Many thoughts cropped up in his mind, maybe the dragon had gone? Or maybe he was awaiting under a hill of gold and was biding his time to leap out at the right moment. But then again, what if he had died? No one would ever find his remains, not amongst all of this!

Despite all these possibilities, Bilbo's mind was still racing, along with his heart and his breathing. Glancing over everything all he could see was gold. He eventually came to a stop, looking over he looked up at the entrance where everyone was waiting. They all looked over the hills of gold in his direction. Naturally Thorin stood in front of them, he urged Bilbo to continue, but he was very reluctant to take another step.

“Anyone seen the dragon?” He asked, Dori was still looking around assessing the situation, he shook his head slowly. “Well,” Bilbo was starting to get worked up. “Am I just meant to go waltzing across the gold and get the-what's-it-stone?”

“Arkenstone, and yes I believe so,” Dori answered quietly.

“Really, and once I get it, what happens then?”

“We'll be behind you if anything goes wrong.” Balin said. “But first we need to find out if Smaug is still in there.”

“Why do I have to do this?” Bilbo whined quietly.

“Go on,” Dori urged. “We're right behind you.” He smiled a smile which was meant to be reassuring, but it came off strained.

Bilbo didn't have it in him to argue anymore. He slowly stepped out onto a hill of gold, he slipped slowly but momentum picked up and he was full on sliding down. Sounds of gold rippling and falling echoed horribly in the mountain.