Different Sense: 53

(A/N: I hate endings! Endings are evil! Why must things end? Oh well. Thank you for reading, voting, and whatnot!)

----

The complete feeling of ease was what greeted Lothiriel when she awoke. She reached up to rub her eyes slowly. The niggling feeling of sleep didn’t seem to want to disappear though. Sitting up she stretched her arms above her head and looked around.

Looking down at herself she gently pulled at her clothes. She had fallen asleep in the clothes she had travelled in. Her movement hadn’t gone unnoticed. Thorin was standing near the window leaning his hands against the windowsill. Hearing her quiet fidgeting he’d looked over his shoulder, turning slowly he walked over.

Lothiriel shot up to kneel on the bed, shuffling forwards she stopped at the edge. Reaching up she wrapped her arms around his neck when he’d drawn closer. “I have missed you. Remind me not to venture off again, please.”

“Even if I remind you, will you listen?” Thorin asked with a light smirk.

Lothiriel leant away from him and narrowed her eyes. “Trust me when I say; I will always listen to you.” Thorin gave a light nod, Lothiriel smiled widely and jumped off of the bed. Thorin turned and watched her potter around. “I will be out soon.” She said while disappearing into another room. Thorin left once she disappeared to bathe and get dressed, he went off in search of everyone else.

----

“Bilbo!” Hearing his name being exclaimed Bilbo stopped walking. Turning quickly he watched as Lothiriel ran to catch up with him. She leant against her knees when she had finally caught up with him. Bilbo smiled and looked around, he waited for her to catch her breath.

Straightening up she entwined her hands together in front of herself. “Good morning, do you know where everyone is?” She smiled and lowered her hands by her sides.

Bilbo looked at her and shook her head. “I’m afraid we’re both in the same boat here.”

“You’re trying to find everyone too?” Lothiriel stated, Bilbo gave a nod. “Let’s go search for them together.” She linked her arm with his and tugged him along the corridor. “May I ask why you are looking for everyone?”

Bilbo looked at the floor and looked up at her sadly. “I feel like it is time for me to go.” Lothiriel’s expression turned to a sad one too. “So I need to find everyone to say goodbye.”

“Are you really sure you can’t stay?” Lothiriel asked, Bilbo just looked at her. “I know! I know!” She said lightly. “You miss your home, we already talked about this, remember?” She gave a wink as they walked along the corridor. On the way they stopped at Bilbo’s room so he could gather his things. With his possessions in hand it seemed like a more definite thing that he was going to go.

Shouldering his pack more he readjusted his grip on his walking stick and looked at Lothiriel. She pushed away from the wall as he shut the door to his room. “Ready?” She asked quietly, he slowly nodded as they continued on their walk.

Walking into a large hall the two of them eyed up the company which were in council. They all rose upon noticing them, and everyone’s shoulders sagged as they saw Bilbo standing decked out in his travelling gear.

Bilbo’s eyes scanned everyone until they stopped on Thorin. “I think it’s time I took my leave, King Thorin.” Beside him Lothiriel gave a small smile at his polite tone, she highly doubted if there was any need for such formality anymore.

“Thorin will do. It always has done, Halfling.” Thorin countered while walking slowly down to them.

Bilbo gave a slow heavy sigh. With a small nod he switched his walking stick from hand to hand. “Well then, Thorin, Balin, Dwalin, Oin, Gloin, Bifur, Bofur, Bombur…everyone,” Bilbo waved a hand at them all. “I don’t think I can say just how much of a pleasure it has been. This was truly one of the most exciting adventures in my life.” Bilbo paused to think over what else to say. He looked up at them all when they waited patiently to continue. “I don’t know if we will be seeing each other again, any time soon that is…but I do wish you all the best, with everything…and I can only hope that you can now all live in peace…” Bilbo was pausing more and more between his words. His tone had gone from casual to emotional in a matter of moments.

Lothiriel being the closest to him, reached up and wrapped her arms around his neck. “Don’t be sad, Bilbo! We will see each other again, remember what we promised, yes?” She leant away from him with teary eyes. “I wish you a safe journey back home, and it has been a pleasure meeting possibly the bravest hobbit I am ever likely to meet.” She smiled slowly, Bilbo looked doubtful of her words yet smiled anyway. “Are you really sure you can’t stay?” She laughed, Bilbo shook his head slowly. Stepping away she allowed Thorin to say his good bye, soon there was a line up to say goodbye to Bilbo.

After everyone had said their farewells they stood and watched Bilbo leave. He walked slowly with uncertainty, it was clear that he didn’t really want to go. He’d turn back to see them all standing watching him walk away. Lothiriel had disappeared along with Thorin, Bilbo’s eyes scanned around and saw them appear on a balcony. She jumped and waved, despite clearly being very upset. Thorin wrapped an arm around her shoulders, and she ended up leaning against him looking sadly in Bilbo’s direction.

The hobbit’s form got smaller and smaller the further he walked on, soon he was just a shadow and then he was gone. As luck would have it, the group did see Bilbo multiple times. The city of Erebor had found itself in an alliance with another dwarf city, as well as Eryn Vorn, which by this time had been rebuilt back to its former wonder. Considering the closeness of both the city, and of the forest, the only way to get to either was to travel directly through the Shire.

Just like old times, Bilbo had fainted from shock when he’d opened his door one day and saw Lothiriel, Thorin, Balin, Fili and Kili standing on his doorstep. His five visitors had sighed, yet laughed quietly when retelling the hobbit of his way of greeting them once he’d stirred later on in the day.

Just like they had promised, they did stay in contact. It seemed that Lothiriel took great pleasure in sending letters to Bilbo, and it seemed he enjoyed sending letters back. Like she had said; she had managed to persuade Thorin to write a letter too. It actually didn’t take much to persuade him actually which caused Lothiriel to smile happily.

Also like they had promised, they did visit each other too. Bilbo had returned to Erebor when he received word that the ever stubborn Dwarf King had finally got round to asking Lothiriel for her hand in marriage. It was something which caused Bilbo to chuckle quietly over, it took Thorin long enough.

From this visit the hobbit was shocked to see how much Erebor had grown, it now stood back to its full glory. Lake Town was now fully rebuilt too, and both the people of the town and the nymphs and dwarves of Erebor lived peacefully side by side. Much like last time Bilbo had stayed for a few days before trekking back off to Hobbiton. He had got used to the small visits from his old friends, as well as the many letters which Lothiriel liked to continuously send to him.