03.

Chapter Three

Annie was indefinitely grateful that she'd sat next to Luna in Muggle Studies - she wouldn't have gotten through it otherwise.

At least, not without jumping from her chair and trying to land a punch - or, more likely, several - on Alecto Carrow.

"Muggles," Alecto Carrow spat, face twisting as though she'd just spotted something disgusting lurking nearby. "Are vicious and dirty, and are the reason us witches and wizards have been driven into hiding because they slaughtered us."

Alecto continued screaming and ranting - this wasn't so much a class but a time for her to scream about how 'filthy' Muggles were and how they were 'endangering' society by merely existing.

All the blood drained from Annie's face as she continued to listen. Her stomach churned uncomfortably like she was about to be sick. She was shaking, and Luna had to rest a hand on hers so often to calm her down.

She couldn't fully calm down though. Not while Alecto continued to go on and on, smiling vindictively at the thought of Muggles being slaughtered and scowling whenever noting how wizards had gone into hiding because of them.

She couldn't take what Alecto was saying, she couldn't stomach it. She was pale all over, and wanted nothing more than to bolt from the class or cast a memory charm on herself that would wipe the past hour from her mind.

When they were finally released - after Alecto set them homework to write a fifteen inch essay on how Muggle brutality drew wizards into hiding - Annie bolted from the room, trembling all over, wanting nothing more than to be as far away from that classroom as possible.

"Annie!" she heard Ginny yell, but she didn't stop for anything or for anyone until she'd reached the first bathroom she came across and bolted inside.

Her breathing was ragged, her throat thick. Tears were leaking from her eyes. Annie wiped a finger across, looking at the wet substance almost in shock, before she rested her head against a mirror and sobbed quietly, letting all her horror and shock of the past hour leave her body.

The door to the bathroom creaked open. Annie bit her lip and muffled the sounds of her cries in case someone less than friendly entered.

"Annie? What's wrong?" a familiar, very friendly voice asked gently.

Annie sniffed and wiped her eyes quickly. "Don't worry, Luna. I'm fine."

"You're crying. I don't believe that's fine at all." Luna placed a hand on Annie's shoulder. "It's okay if you don't want to tell us, Annie, but sometimes it's better for you to speak."

Annie laughed shakily.

"You're right of course," she whispered. She wiped the sleeve of her robes across her face, drying all the tears. "It's just... what she was saying... It shook me so much because my dad is a Muggle. He's the kindest and most hardworking person alive, yet he is apparently nothing but a filthy Muggle." Annie shook her head. "I'm being ridiculous, I know, taking what she's saying too close to heart -"

Luna squeezed her hand.

"No, you're not," she said. "You care deeply about your father. I think that's beautiful."

Annie froze, staring at the girl in front of her. Somehow, in this dark place, Luna Lovegood was still able to point out things that were beautiful.

"It's only natural to react to the Carrows that way," Luna continued. "You weren't the only one. Ginny were glaring daggers at her, and Nicholas Branch was shaking. You're not alone, Annie."

How was it possible that Luna could be so kind, so gentle no matter what, and happen to be exactly the sort of thing Annie needed? Annie stepped forward and hugged her friend. Luna's hugs were as gentle and calming as her soul.

"Thank you, Luna," she murmured.

"It's okay, Annie. Friends are there to look after each other, after all."

Annie smiled. "You really consider me your friend?"

"Of course." Luna smiled back. "And I happen to care for you."

Warmth spread through Annie's body. "I care about you, too. Even though I've only known you for a day... You're just too kind, Luna."

Luna beamed - it was so bright that it was almost blinding.

"Come on, it's lunch now," she said, taking Annie's hand and pulling her toward the door. "If you want we can grab sandwiches and eat by the lake. If you're lucky we'll be able to see the giant squid."

Annie found himself smiling properly for the first time since she arrived at Hogwarts as she followed Luna. Next to the vibrant girl, she felt as though neither the Carrows nor Snape could touch her.

**********

oops they've only known each other for a day but i already ship them like crazy