Chapter 35 - [A Thank You and the Pharaoh]

I did not sleep one bit last night, though I couldn't blame myself for that. There were way too many things going on in my head and sleep would not be permitted.

     Plus, part of me worried that the wizard would return. After all, it was this night that the wizard cursed me.

     But I got out of bed the next morning, completely fine. I was still here. In tact. And I had not seen the wizard at all.

     Being back in Egypt meant returning to being a king. And being a king meant a lot.

     First and foremost... I was up before the sun had even risen. I had to take part in the morning prayers, which meant getting cleaned up and ready well before the sun was born again into the sky.

     Prayers took up a good chunk of my day. The first set of prayers was at dawn, the second was at noon, and the third was right before the sun set.

     Getting used to not doing that was one of the hardest things to do during my time in May's world. But I kept it going in my own way.

     Now, however, was time to do it the right way. Especially since I was going to need all the help I could get to challenge the People of the Sea.

     When I stepped out of my room after getting ready, Lord Hepu greeted me with a low bow. "My Pharaoh."

     I nodded my head at him and when he rose, a small, sad smile formed on his face.

     "You look... tired."

     "I barely slept," I said as I started to walk towards the temple. I took a deep breath of the morning air and almost instantly felt a lot more awake.

     I could hear the early rising animals and the distant voices of the villagers as they all prepared for the day ahead of them.

     This was nothing like what I felt in May's world. I could never smell this clean air or hear nothing but calmness at any time.

     "That's understandable," Lord Hepu said, "you have gone through a lot."

     "Do you think everyone believes me?" I asked.

     Lord Hepu was always honest. He kind of had to be. He was the High Priest of Amun and what he preached was honesty and the upholding of ma'at. It was his duty to practice what he preached.

     So I trusted that he would give me an honest answer.

     "I believe they find it hard to grasp, as do I, my Pharaoh," he said. "But they have no reason to think you are lying."

     I nodded, feeling a little relieved. It felt a lot more satisfying to know that they believed me to some extent.

     "Despite the harshness in your rule, my Pharaoh... you were never the one to lie."

     I nodded again. "Well, it's a good thing I maintained one virtuous trait."

     Lord Hepu smiled. "It is never too late to be forgiven for your mistakes. So long as you are honest and truthful in your apology."

     "Thank you," I said.

     From the corner of my eye, I saw him look at me with slight shock on his face.

     I don't think he's ever heard me say those words since I was a child. But the eventual smile on his face made me feel like he was glad I said it.

     During the prayers and welcoming the sun back into the sky with incense and offerings and the chants of the songstresses, I felt a relief that I had not felt in a while.