Chapter 26

"That'll show him to flirt with his fiancé in front of me," I huffed while Seamus chuckled and I repeatedly stabbed my food. "Sorry Seamus. It won;t happen again. I dunno what I was thinking. Spur of the moment... I knew he was watching... wanted to piss him off.... Sorry." Seamus only laughed harder at my apology.

"I didn't mind, but just be thankful the Carrows didn't see; they're punishing everyone who isn't a Slytherin for almost anything. Yesterday, before Herbology, Neville and Hannah were snogging when one of them walked past and gave them both detention. No telling what's gonna happen to them," Seamus explained quietly. Neville, who was sitting only a few feet away, heard our conversation and moved closer to us.

"Shut up, Seamus, the whole school doesn't need to know," Neville joked without smiling. "I'm pretty nervous for the detention, actually. After seeing what Alecto did to you on the train, Skye, who knows what they'll do to us?"

"Well good luck. I'll see you later tonight. I should probably head to class... Seamus, you coming?" I asked, politely excusing myself from the table.

"Yeah, sure. See you in Herbology, Nev!" Seamus said, waving goodbye to Neville and trotting after me.

"What do you reckon we'll be doing today?" I questioned as we walked down to the DADA classroom. I know it's just called the Dark Arts now, but I can't bring myself to call it that.

"Who knows... probably another lesson on Unforgivable Curses," Seamus said, shrugging.

"Joy..." I muttered as we entered the classroom. "Shit, I forgot we have assigned seats. Double shit, I forgot to do the essay. I'll probably end up with a detention now, great."

"I'd let you copy mine, but I'll most likely end up getting detention for how awful it is," Seamus chuckled, making me smile.

"Sit down you worthless brats and get out your essays!" Alecto spat as she strode into the classroom. I took my seat next to Draco and scooted as far away from him as I could. Draco slid a piece of parchment across the table and placed it in front of me.

"Your essay," he whispered in my ear.

"You actually wrote it? I thought you were kidding," I said, shocked.

"Yeah, I told you I would, remember? I did it this morning," he replied.

"Oh. Well, um, thanks, I guess." I forced myself to look at him; his eyes were dull and red and he no longer had his famous smirk plastered on his face.

"Stop talking you brats!" Alecto sneered as she walked around the classroom and collected our essays. "Today we'll be performing Unforgivable Curses. You! Come here!" Alecto pointed at me and I stood up shakily.

"What are you doing? Don't do anything to her; she hasn't done anything to you!" Seamus shouted suddenly and I flashed him a look, telling him to shut up before he got into trouble.

"Shut up boy, I'll do whatever I please," Alecto snarled. Seamus shot me a worried look and I saw Draco staring at me intently, worry clouding his face. "This little girl had the guts to talk back to me on the train the other day, and I feel it's right that she get punished again." Alecto grabbed me by the hair and my breath caught in my throat as the pain surged through my head. She tugged her wand out of her sleeve and pointed it at me. I felt nervous tears begin to form in the corner of my eyes and I blinked rapidly, willing them to go away before Alecto saw. "Awh, are you crying? I thought you were supposed to be a Gryffindor; brave and courageous, eh?" Alecto sneered, leaning closer and closer to my face until I could smell her foul breath. "Crucio," she growled.

The curse hit me with such intensity that I almost stopped breathing. I felt the tears leave my eyes as I squirmed on the floor with Alecto laughing above me. I caught a glimpse of the classroom and not even the Slytherins were amused; their eyes were filled with horror. Draco and Seamus both wore looks of horror and Draco looked like he wanted to throw up. "PLEASE PLEASE MAKE IT STOP!" I screamed and Alecto only laughed.