4. Vampire's Leather Jacket

Silence. With Damon gone I can literally feel the silence surrounding me, closing in on me. I don't dare move, afraid it will shatter. My mind replays today over and over again, and still I am reeling. What is going on? I slowly bring my hand to my chest, feeling my heart raging in my chest. It beats so fast, it's as though it is trying to break out of me. I close my eyes and picture Damon, his eyes tearing through me.

  It quickly becomes apparent that thinking of him is not helping me calm down. Instead, I focus on my breathing. In and out, nice, slow, and deep. With my breath steadying, slowly my heart settles down to its normal rhythm. I take a small step toward the door, and stop.

  What now?

  I shake my head, still struggling to wrap my mind around the nights events. I think it's time to just give up and go to bed. Feeling silly over my reaction, I push all my thoughts and feeling away, only focusing on turning in for the night. First step, turn off the lights. Simple, something I can manage. I move to the light switch when something catches my eyes. What is that black thing on the couch? Cautiously I step toward the foreign material, tracing my fingers down its smooth surface.

  Damon's leather jacket! I hadn't even realized he had taken it off. Adrenaline courses through me as I grasp the jacket and dash to the door. If I am quick enough I can catch him! I swing the door open... but no such luck, he is gone.

  I look down at the leather jacket in my hands and can't help but blush softly as I bring it in close to my chest. Sighing, I close the front door and turn the lights off in the house. Having the same routine as always, I am able to navigate through the darkness.

  Going back into the kitchen I move my way into the closet once again. Putting one hand on the washer I ensure the lid is closed, having learned the need to check the hard way. With my foot I feel next to the machine for the small stepping stool, pulling it out just slightly. With little effort I lift myself up onto it and then step up onto the washer. I tense as the metallic clang echoes my movements, but it can't be helped.

  Once silence settles in the house, I take a cautious breath, thankful to have not woken Dad. Lifting my free hand up above me, I pat at the panel I know to be there. Finding it with ease I am able to push it up and to the side with little pressure. Thankfully my eyes are adjusted to the dark at this point, so I am able to stand through the opening without fear of hitting its edges.

  Gently, and slowly, I lift the jacket through the gap and set it off to the right. I know it will be easier to crawl up if I have both hands, but at the same time I am hesitant to let it out of my touch. Placing my hands on either side of the opening I pull myself up into my room, the attic.

  Lifting the jacket back into my arms, I mindlessly move the panel back in place with my foot. In a haze I drift towards the bed, automatically reaching for the lamp that balances on top of a milk crate, flipping it on. Light illuminates my small space, giving me the comfort of finally being able to relax.

  My room is very much like the rest of my house, like my life in general, nothing special. It is technically the attic, but other than the weird way of getting into it, I love my room. When I was 13, Zeke and I decided that it was time to get some color in here, neither of us being very fond of the color of wood. So for my birthday his mom got me the paint I so excitedly picked out. It took us 2 complete days to paint my walls purple and the ceiling black, but it was a total blast! Only after we finished would he let me open my present from him, glow in the dark stars that you stick to the wall. Adding those to my ceiling just made it perfect, now I have my very own night sky!

  I don't have very many belongings, but I have everything I need. There isn't a closet, but I managed to hang a dowel up along the far side. Not having a plethora of clothing, its enough space to hang what I have. Anything that doesn't fit I fold nicely into milk crates that I tuck underneath.