Part 12

"Just fucking tell her. Right now. This is your sign."

Maia sprinted towards the gymnasium. She ran as fast as her feet could take her and clutched on to the video camera in her right hand. Her eyes locked in on a JV volleyball player, Bea, standing right outside the gym with a very tall boy.

"Did I miss it? Did they walk yet?" She panted as she hunched over and tried to catch her breath.

"No, you're right on time." Bea grinned as she opened the door for Maia. "Hope it works out..."

"Me too." The Australian replied before entering the gym. She was taken back by the amount of people present for a volleyball game but it was understandable since it was Senior Night. She spotted her teammates and some of the soccer boys on top of bleachers and jogged over to them.

"Mitchell. Thought you might have backed out." Noah greeted Maia with a smirk.

"I always pull through, Benardout." She dismissed the boy's remark and flopped down next to him. She flipped the camera open and aimed it at the court before pressing record. "This is going to be good."

Noah hummed along and faced the front.

-

Camila placed her hands on each side of the sink and lifted her head up to see her own reflection. She looked into her brown orbs staring back at her. It was her last game playing with her team on their home court. But mostly, it was her last chance to tell Lauren how she felt.

"SENIORS, LINE UP!" She heard their coach scream, breaking her out from her daze. She let out a big sigh and slapped her face to get pumped. "CABELLO!" She flinched and craned her head. "LET'S GO!" She gave a thumbs up to her coach and turned back to the mirror to her reflection.

"You can do this." Camila motivated herself. "Don't choke. You can do this." She felt warm hands on her shoulders and jumped. She relaxed when she saw that it was only Dinah.

"Calm down, Walz. You got this." The Polynesian pushed. She smiled at her captain and pulled her on the line. "Stay cool."

Camila nodded as she made her way to the line. She saw Lauren in the front of the line waving excitedly to her family on the bleachers with a boost of confidence she walked up next to her and grabbed the girl's face to face her. Confused emerald eyes looked at Camila's resolute chocolate ones.

"Hey Camz, what's up?" Lauren husked.

"I love you." Her co-captain declared before releasing her face and strutting back to the end of the line. Lauren was left in shock uncertain on how to react at the bomb Camila had just dropped on her. Nevertheless, she wasn't given the time. The game was about to start and the announcer had taken his place.

"Parents, students, and visitors. Welcome to Miami High, home of the Manta Rays!" The announcer, Jake hollered. He egged the crowd to cheer on then signaled them to quiet down. "Alright. Tonight is a special night for our volleyball girls' seniors. They will be recognized for the years they have played in our school and celebrated for graduating." He cleared his throat and gestured to the corner of the gym. "Let me present to you, the seniors of the ladies' volleyball teeeeeeaaaaam. Lauren Jauregui. Ally Brooke. Normani Kordei Hamilton. Dinah Jane Hansen and Camila Cabello."

The five girls came out of the locker room and waved to the audience. Each had placed on wide smiles and cheery attitudes. Jake took a pile of notecards with the players' information. He began to read the bios to the crowd.

"Lauren Jauregui... one of the captains this year. She played all four years. Her favorite memory was the day she got was accepted to be part of the team and become a family with the rest of the girls. She will be attending Stanford in the fall. Congratulations, Jauregui." The green-eyed girl shyly waved. Jake paused and waited until the hoots died down.