Chapter 26: Part II

Content Warning: Strong language and mature content

Fahd

The spring sunlight was streaming from the windows. It was nearing noon. The bed was made, the room cleaned. After the elaborate weekend breakfast, I was busy working on my laptop. Ramlah was brushing her long wet black hair after a shower. I sat on the desk chair lost in my thoughts watching Ramlah thoughtfully. Why did Sara come back now? Worse was, why were my feelings coming back? Ramlah felt my gaze on her and she turned to look at me, raising her eyebrows questioningly. I looked away immediately. I couldn't look in her eyes. I felt guilty of old emotions and desires emerging.

I concentrated on the spreadsheet I was working on. But all the numbers were jumbled up. Nothing made sense.

"Fahd, is everything ok?" Ramlah's voice came from behind me. Her hands were on the chair I was seated on and she was standing close to it.

I jumped at the question. I had been so lost in my thoughts that I didn't realize she was standing beside me. I swallowed. What do I tell her? That I met my first love after years and the emotions I had thought had died where all rushing back?

I continued to type out numbers and feigned not listening to her. She lightly touched my shoulder trying to grab my attention.

"Fahd?"

I sighed, I really wanted to be alone before I sort out my emotional state. "I am fine Ramlah. I am just stressed out about work."

"Maybe I can help?" she mumbled bending down by my side to peer at the laptop.

I shook my head vigorously but before I could respond my phone started ringing. There was a new number calling me. Confused, I answered it.

"Hello?" I spoke into the phone unsure who it was.

"Hi Fahd"

That voice! I froze. It was Sara. My eyes darted to Ramlah anxiously, she had no idea of my increasing heart beat or of the perspiration at the back of my neck. I had to act fast, I cleared my throat and responded, "One moment."

I stood up and casually walked out of the room leaving a very baffled Ramlah behind.

As soon as, I was out of Ramlah's ear shot, I asked, "Who gave you my number?"

"I have my ways Fahd." I could hear amusement in her voice.

Running my hand through my hair I said, "I don't think it is a good idea Sara to call and talk."

"Fahd I want to meet you once. Please just as friends. Let's meet up." she proposed.

Shutting my eyes, I breathed, "Please Sara. I can't"

"Once Fahd please." She pleaded.

There was a long silence. What do I do? I was in two minds. There was no harm in meeting once. But then what about Ramlah. Clenching my jaw, I finally succumbed to my desires, "Fine, where and when?"

"Come over to my place."

Oh no, I can't meet her in private. "No somewhere else."

"Fahd I want to talk. I won't be comfortable meeting you somewhere in public."

"Sara, if that is the case I am not coming." I warned.

She was quiet and then spoke up, "Do you think it would be ok to meet in a public place where anyone can recognize us."

I rubbed my temple. She was right.

"Only once Sara."

"Of course" she responded immediately.