Chapter 37

"Wh-What did you do?" Benjamin stammered, backing away from Ursula. His friends all seemed to be frozen in place--or stuck in time--as a result of Ursula's sorcery.

"I need to speak to you alone," she said, approaching him. "Elemental witches have natural extrasensory perception--clairvoyance, telepathy, precognition, etcetera--and my natural gift from Nature has led me to you."

"I-I don't understand--"

"I need to free an ancient sorcerer from a tomb. To do that, I need the blood of his descendant." Ursula pointed to him. "You know a descendant."

"Ancient sorcerer? I-I don't even know who you're talking about."

"My precognitive visions showed you bringing her to me. Right to the doorsteps of this very house."

"I-I don't know anything. It was . . . it was just a dream."

"You underestimate the natural abilities of elemental witches," Ursula said, her eyes glowing a bright emerald. "Our extrasensory abilities are absolute. You can provide me with exactly what I need to free Demetrius. And you will."

"Demetrius?"

"Are you aware that your friend, Natalie, birthed a child before she became a dead walker?"

Benjamin's jaw dropped.

"Wh-What?"

The witch nodded.

"Yes. And she didn't procreate with just any man, no. She laid with a descendant of the entombed sorcerer that I wish to free. The cornerstone of the spell that binds said sorcerer to this very day is his own blood--an essential element in the type of binding spell used. The only way to undo the spell today would be to gather blood from a descendant of his." Ursula narrowed her eyes. "You know a descendant . . . don't you?"

A million thoughts went through Benjamin's head. None of them good.

Ursula grinned.

"You're well-aware that lying to me would be futile, yes?" she said, the emerald glow in her eyes fading. "Or would you rather I use magic to make you do my bidding, Benjamin?" I will if I have to."

Benjamin hesitated.

"N-No. You don't have to."

"Bring me what I need."

"H-How am I supposed to get her blood?"

Ursula eyes lit up.

"Her blood? The undead wouldn't find acquiring human blood so difficult. . . . Unless, of course, feelings are involved--"

"It's not that, it's just . . ."

Ursula smiled.

"Bring her to me. I can get what I need, heal her, and make her forget the whole ordeal."

Benjamin deeply inhaled and exhaled slowly. After several silent seconds, he said "Is it possible . . . to . . . restore the undead?"

The question seemed to not only have surprised Ursula, but slightly amuse her.

"As in . . . cure the undead?" she asked.