39

edited chapter

edited chapter

Chapter 39: Saving People, Hunting Things

{K. M}

Everyone gathered in the empty classroom while Bonnie Bennett stood by a table, Latin pouring from her red stained lips.

"What's taking so long?" Klaus impatiently questions, Dakota hadn't woken or moved for that matter but she wasn't dead. "Boundary spells have a loophole."

Before Bonnie could respond, Matt Donovan barged in, his dirty blonde hair messy from the wind blowing outside. "People are walking out of the dance. Right past the barrier."

"It only keeps in supernaturals," Jeremy murmurs to himself. "Matt and I could find Esther, we just need to know where she is."

Bonnie sighed, resting her hands on the table. "I'm trying, but they have an advantage."

Klaus looked over at Dakota. "Why do they keep doing that to her, anyways? There are plenty of other people that they can soul suck."

"No, actually they can't. Dakota different, Klaus. When she feels, she feels with every fiber of her being." Bonnie's voice softened. "Centuries ago, when Dakota made a deal with the witches to protect their children, they needed something to tether her to them so she didn't back down on her word. Since she's very strong willed, they picked her emotions, how she felt, because in a way she was stronger than all of them."

A loud gasp sounded from Dakota, her back arching as her face was twisted in pain.

"What the hell is going on?" The hybrid panicked, pulling Dakota into his lap and running his shake hands over her convulsing body.

"Her subconscious," Bonnie realizes. "—the connection she has with the witches causes her to be there with them."

"Which means what exactly?"

Bonnie smiled, hope swelling in her heart. "It means that I can get into her mind and see where Esther is."

Klaus stood outside of the school, his hands tucked into his pants pockets. He was aware that Stefan had followed him, he just chose not to comment on it. "This is your fault."

It took a while, but Bonnie had found his mother hiding at the old witch hotspot. Matt and Jeremy were deemed useful since hey we're the only ones allowed to pass the barrier.

Since Esther was channeling the witches, and the witches were channeling Dakota, they unknowingly connected her to them. Meaning, she felt what they felt even though she wasn't actually being injured. It was making Klaus' mind go insane as he watched his girlfriend writhe in pain, knowing full well that there wasn't a damn thing that he could do to ease it.

Dakota felt everything, from the power that surged through the Original witch to the stake that pierced through her heart —thanks to Alaric.

"So?" Stefan shrugged carelessly. Dakota wasn't considered a friend, he only trusted her because Damon did, and for the most part Damon had fairly good judgement. "We've stopped Esther before, what makes you think we won't stop her again?"

"Oh, I have no doubts that you'll put an end to my mother. I encourage it, actually. But one thing you will leave alone, is Dakota. She is not to be harmed during our remaining time here."

The conversation was interrupted when Damon made an appearance, his blue eyes widening as he heard Klaus' words. His heart clenched at the hybrids words. "Remaining time here? You're leaving?"

"Indeed." Klaus smiles, his naturally red lips turning upwards at the corner at their taken aback expressions. "I will be taking Dakota with me, of course."

"She'll never go with you," Damon defends.

"Is that why she has already agreed to leave with me? We're deciding where to go next, New Orleans, Peru, maybe even Australia?"

"You can't be serious."

"Come on, Damon. Do you honestly think I'd keep the love of my life in this wretched town, when I could show her the world?"

Stefan raised his thick eyebrows, his small lips pursing in surprise. "Got to say, I'm surprised you even give a damn."

Klaus looked between both of the Salvatore brothers. "I may be an incredibly smart, handsome man, with the ability to make people shake in fear wherever I walk, but what's the fun in that if I don't bring my girl along with me to help invoke such fear."

        "You don't deserve love, Klaus."

        "Everyone deserves love, Stefan. Even you and your miserable brother."

This chapter is a bit short but I don't really like this episode and I suppose that reflected a bit in my writing, but I assure the upcoming chapters will be much better.

Love, Cece