xv

I'm probably going to update again tomorrow or the next day! The next few chapters will be really fun :)

Also I want to say a big thank you to everyone who has commented on the story, or sent me a message saying how much you liked it. Those are honestly the kinds of things that make my day!! Hearing people tell me that they like my writing is the best thing ever because this is something that I've loved to do forever and it's so lovely when something you enjoy doing is appreciated by others

~

Clara woke up to a murky sky outside her window, the expanse of thick clouds looming over the sun to conceal its brilliant rays. She stretched her arms over her head and felt a subtle ache in her limbs, but the pain only brought pleasant memories of the night before. Harry's birthday had gone better than she expected. She didn't think she could have asked for a better night, from the way his face had lit up when he unwrapped his gifts, to the absolutely obscene things she had done with him. Clara had never dreamed of doing those kind of things with any other man before, but somehow the boy with cherry lips and a warm tongue managed to make her want to do everything in the damn book.

Clara uttered a good morning to the cat and reached for her phone as she padded out of the room. It was 8:30 sharp, meaning her scheduled job interview was in an hour. With that in mind, she scrolled through her phone while simultaneously reaching for the cereal from the cupboards for a light breakfast. She noticed a missed call from Harry as she spooned a bite into her mouth and grinned. She typed out a message to him with her free hand.

*Already using your phone? I thought you didn't need it... Sorry I didn't answer. Knocked out right when I got home. Wish me luck on my job interview!*

She added one of those hearts at the end but then quickly deleted it before pressing send. Clara finished her breakfast before preparing for the interview, her nerves beginning to boil in her belly as she dressed into a chartreuse blouse and slim skirt. The restaurant, Blue Hill, wasn't quite as fancy as The Lone Hour, but it was definitely still worthy of the butterflies that were fluttering within her. Clara needed a job soon because the bills were beginning to stack up and her savings were running short, especially after she had splurged on Harry's birthday.

Clara stared at her final reflection in the mirror for a minute before glancing at the drawer. "Why not," she mumbled to herself, then rummaged around in it and retrieved the diamond necklace. She wrapped it around her neck, hoping the precious jewels would give her the extra confidence that she needed, and then went out to her car, the necklace feeling like ice against her skin.

The job interview went by smoother than Clara anticipated. She was guided around the kitchen and the scent of sizzling beef and steamed vegetables flooded her nostrils- she had missed this during the past month. She missed the busy kitchen and constant savory scents that lingered in the warm air. It did some to ease her nerves, and she ended up relaxing by the time the man began to ask her questions about her previous occupation. She told him of her job at The Lone Hour, mentioning the details that made her appear experienced without adding the bit about her feud with Janice. That probably wouldn't sit well with them.

"I've had the grilled trout there a few times," the young man told her while scribbling something down on the clipboard he had kept tucked under his army the whole time.

"Yes, that is my favorite dish there," Clara nodded in agreement and her mouth watered at the memory.

"Ours is better," he smirked at her. He scribbled something else down before looking up at Clara with a dazzling smile that made her stomach do leaps of joy. "Well, Ms. Byrne, I think you have proven to be more than qualified for the position. You would make an excellent addition to our kitchen."