chapter fifteen: [a not-so patient patient]

"To endure is the first thing a child ought to learn, and that which he will have the most need to know."

       Indigo's POV

   Darkness.

    That was the first thing I was greeted by when my consciousness came back to me. My face scrunched up at the feeling of needles in both of my arms. The awareness of the tubes removing and reentering fluid into my body made my stomach churn.

I slowly fluttered my eyes open, the presence of light making them sting. But, as I got used to it, my eyes fully opened, revealing I was still in the crummy hospital room, I was still laying in the crummy hospital bed, the same itchy knitted blanket still harshly rubbing against my legs.

   Using my hands, I began to sit up, scooting back to put my head against the head board. When I succeeded, I relaxed again, my eyes searching around the room. Although, there was nothing, my brain clicked with a new feeling, a new "memory". Maybe that wasn't the right word, but there was something.

Something about this room, I know it. There was something missing. Maybe not missing, either. There- weren't there usually flowers in here?

The absence of the colorful plant made me feel slightly left out. Didn't patients receive flowers? Get well cards? Something within the subject of "we're glad you didn't die".

Only people with family get those, my self-conscious so greatly reminded me.

  I nodded to myself.

   "Miss?" A small voice spoke. I turned my head towards the noise, seeing a nurse, clad in purple scrubs. Part of me longed to see Melissa instead of this stranger.

The nurse stepped in through the door way and shut the door behind her, clutching a clipboard close to her chest.

   "How long have I been out?" I asked her as she walked closer. The nurse let out a sigh, pulling up a small wheeled chair.

"You should have been out for another three days." She admitted. My eyebrows furrowed. Three days?

   "Then why am I awake right now?" I asked. She ignored my question and began to fiddle with the tubes trailing from my arm to a small rack of a clear liquid.

"Hello?" I raised my eyebrows at her. Again, she didn't respond and she stopped messing with the tubes, picked up her clipboard and started walking out.

  "Hey, why aren't you answering me?" I scoffed, attempting to get up. I felt a slight tug on my arm and groaned, leaning back. I glanced back at the tubes and rolled my eyes, yanking them out. I hissed at the feeling, gritting my teeth. Trying to ignore the pain, I swung my legs over the edge of my bed and lifted myself off, my feet curling at the feeling of the cold tiles.

I pushed off the bed, stumbling into the wall. I groaned and began using the wall to get to the door, reaching to grab the handle. I twisted the handle and swung open the door, rushing to get through the opening. I grunted at the speed before I walked out into the bright white hallway. There were no other nurses walking down this hallway and I sighed in relief.