1; Bad news angry sisters and early wake ups

Zayn

"Zayn! Wake up!"

My eyes flutter open and focus on my little sister, Safaa, who stands beside my bed in a red silk dress. She's always wearing that damn dress. She looks at me expectantly and I close my eyes again. "I'm sleeping, Saff."

I then feel her small hands start to hit my bare back. "Zayn!" She cries again. "Get uppp! Daddy wants you."

I open my eyes. That's never a good sign. I'm about to ask her for more information when my dad's sharp voice cuts through the thin walls.

"Zayn Javadd Malik, get your ass out here now!"

I sigh heavily and haul myself out of bed as Safaa gives me a bubbly 'told you!' and skips out of my room. I slip on a shirt that I picked up off the ground and stumble towards the kitchen, where I hear raised voices that I recognise as my mum's and dad's. It doesn't take me long before I'm at the kitchen.

I lean against the door frame, looking at them both in frustration. "What?"

"Sit down, Zayn," my mum says. She's dressed in her usual attire, long sleeved shirt and pants. But she looks more tired than usual. "We need to talk to you."

I don't move. "Can't it wait?"

"She said sit down, boy!"

I roll my eyes at my dad before sitting down in a chair across from mum at the table. The minute I'm seated she slides me a piece of paper. I see that the skin beneath her eyes is heavily sunken. "This just came in the mail."

I look down at the paper and read your son, Zayn, has been expelled from TongHigh School. I sigh. "Shit," I mumble.

"Care to explain yourself?" Dad glares at me.

I shrug. I can't really explain. It's pretty self-explanatory itself. And it wasn't like I wasn't expecting it; when you hit a teacher you're probably going to get expulsion. "I've been expelled?"

"Why?" Dad pushes. He's pretty angry now and with one more wrong word from my mouth he could very well explode.

"Hitting a teacher," I whisper.

"Excuse me?"

I look at him. "Sorry what?"

"What did you just say?"

I cough. "I hit a teacher."

"You WHAT?!"

"In my defence, it wasn't my fault," I state. "The prick had it coming." I shrug down in my seat and rest my arms on the back of the chair.

My dad rubs his chin and doesn't say anything, forcing my very shocked mum to. "Zayn," she says quietly. I hate how she does that. She never raises her voice - she doesn't have to. She can manipulate people just with her words and looks. I mean, I'm immediately feeling guilty. "This is the third school you have been expelled from."

I count on my fingers. "Yup, sounds about right."

She looks at me sternly. "Do you even care?"

I sigh. Of course I do. I mean, deep down. I don't mean to do it intentionally, cause so much trouble for my family. It's not like I go to school with the goal of getting expelled on my mind. I just hate the place. I hate the people, the teachers, the fact that a person's intelligence is determined by test results. The whole system's fucked and it drives me so crazy that sometimes I just need a break from it all. But really, I don't need school. I'm seventeen now and I can get a job at my Uncle Ricky's bar down town. I only need extra money, not a god damn law degree.