5; Leprechauns, collisions, and scarves

Zayn

"So there’s the kitchen," Niall points out as we walk down the hall outside our dorm room. “Every floor has one. It’s stocked with every kind of food you could imagine, and you’re allowed it whenever." His eyes light up.

"For real?" I ask, finding the whole thing pretty unbelievable.

"For real," Niall nods. “I know, it still takes my breath away."

He carries on walking. It’s 8:00 in the morning, and classes start in an hour, so Niall’s showing me around the place so I don’t look entirely pathetic when I’m left alone. But Niall keeps thinking he’s a damn tour guide, and I’m his follower, but I keep walking in front of him to remind him no one controls me.

"That’s Harry’s dorm," he points out. Who the fuck is Harry? “And that door there? That’s the bathroom."

"Wait, there’s bathrooms in every room and on every floor?" I check.

"Not every floor," Niall corrects. “About every third one. There’s heaps in the main school building, too. Speaking of that, let’s go." He moves ahead of me and runs down the stairs, his tie flapping behind him. I didn’t even bother to tie mine up. He comes to a door and pushes it open and suddenly we’re outside. It’s still dark out, and definitely cold. I’m thankful I’m wearing my leather jacket. This time I don’t walk in front of Niall, because I actually don’t know where to go.

He leads me past a few sport courts and we’re suddenly inside again. He holds open his arms. “This is where students come to die."

I look around and it looks like a normal school. Lockers hug the walls and run right down the hall until I can’t see any further, and there’s heaps of stairs and doors to classrooms. It looks just like my old school back in Bradford, well, all three. Niall wastes no time and starts walking again.

"That’s the art block," he says. “You taking any of the arts?"

I snort. Fuck off. “No."

"Okay, then what are you taking?"

I pull out the screwed up pieces of paper that are in my leather jacket’s pocket and unscrew them all one by one. “Um, hold up." I unscrew the rules of the school and toss it back away again, then unscrew the activities at the school before tossing that away. I then find my timetable and find that I have the worst subjects. Calculus, Drama, Chemistry, Physics, History, and Economics. “You’re kidding," I groan.

Niall peers over my shoulder and I have the urge to tell the leprechaun to get out of my personal space, but I have a feeling he’d just laugh it off. “Drama? Oh, bro."

"This is bullshit. Can I change?"

"I’m afraid not. The school’s strict like that. One positive though" he smiles, “I’m in your History class."

I don’t think that’s a positive.

"Let me show you the cafeteria," he says, moving forward again. He takes me to a large room with about a hundred tables and chairs all scattered around inside. “You don’t have to eat here, but most people do. We all have lunch at the same time."

"This where you come for dinner and breakfast, too?" I notice people are already in there eating what looks like stacks of waffles and pancakes and fruit salads. Fruit salads.

"Sure is. Or the kitchens." He turns to me. “Now, we need to find your locker." He takes my timetable out of my hands and starts moving again. I can barely keep up with this guy.

"Here we are. Locker 3022. Go on, open it up."

I punch in my code and open it, finding it empty, as I expected. I turn to him, as if to say ‘what now?’