Chapter 11 - Monster

Before I can say anything else, Clarisse is standing up and calling everyone's attention. "Will, careful with your comments. Kids, finish your meal and then you can catch up with Will. Blanca, you and Will can go talk to my office. You have to be careful of what you do and say in front of the kids."

I press my lips together to keep me from saying anything. The whole amnesia issue is quite hard to remember, pun not intended. I don't keep in mind that I have to act like I don't remember my life or who I am. I shouldn't even remember Will, but I clearly acted like I do.

There's one thing I know for sure: I can't be an actor.

I stand up, grab my crutch and give Nora a look for her to follow me. I'm heading to Clarisse's office when the new guest speaks up.

"Why should I? I have nothing to talk to her." I stop in my tracks to stare at him in bewilderment. "If she needs to find out anything, she can read the news."

The guy shrugs and then heads to sit at the table next to Graham. I keep staring at him, not believing he is acting like this. He can't just refer to me like that and then ignore me like this.

"William!" Clarisse exclaims, her expression as scandalised as mine, but that doesn't make him react.

"I'm not a kid anymore, I can make my own decisions. People like her don't want to talk to people like me unless they need to, right? Why do I have to help her when she doesn't care about anything else but her own world?"

There's such venom in his words that I clumsily stumble back, as if he's slapped me across the face.

I remember his words when I arrived at the office, the rage in them as he shouted. It doesn't surprise me that he hates me, or maybe not me but people like me, but I'm surprised he is acting like this in front of the kids. After all, they really regard him as a hero and right now he is not giving the best example.

"Excuse me, people like her, as you so well referred, is standing right here, and just for respect to the kids having dinner, I think it's appropriate to step outside if you want to keep insulting me," I throw back at him, stepping forward defiantly, trying to square my shoulders and look more imposing like that.

He finally decides to look at me and the disdain in his eyes is evident, but I don't let him intimidate me.

"I don't have anything to tell you, or insults to spare. I would prefer eating right now."

"We made that food," I snap when he turns to ignore me again. "Will you be able to eat that or are you scared you'll get indigestion? Someone like me touched it."

I feel like I'm back in elementary school by doing and saying these things, but he is not much better as he makes a face of utter disgust. If I'm being childish, it's because he started it.

"Will, if you came to look for a fight, this is not the place. We are having dinner and I don't want you acting like this in front of the kids!" Clarisse steps forward before Will can make a remark. "If you are an adult now, act like one, or do you want me to pull your ear?"

Some of the kids laugh at that and I notice how Will covers his left ear almost instinctively, watching Clarisse with alarm in his eyes. I feel tempted to laugh as well, but I control myself better.

He huffs, he really does, and then adds, "Fine. No need to threaten me."

He stands up again and walks pass us, towards Clarisse's office. Nora and I finally follow him, exchanging looks that say more than words. We both agree this won't be pleasant and he won't easily help us to understand what's going on.