29

C H A P T E R 29

Cedric Diggory closed his History of Magic book and put it in his bag as he then took out his unfinished Potions essay. All he needed was the conclusion which wouldn't take long. He dipped his quill into the ink cartridge and started to conclude his ideas comparing two antidotes.

He was just about to finish his last sentence when a noise caught his attention. It was the library so even the slightest movement would be heard. Cedric looked up and saw one of his best friends, Luke Hatcher, rush towards him. He looked to be out of breath as his chest was moving in uneasy movements.

The raven haired boy sloppily sat down next to Cedric and faced him.

"What's going on, Luke?" he asked eyeing his best friend's odd behavior.

"Did you hear? It's all over Hogwarts,"

Cedric looked confused. He was never the one to pay attention to the Hogwarts gossip, found it quite pathetic and sad. The silly rumors usually went right through his ears because they were generally ridiculous. Some, not a lot, but some mentioned him and the name of a girl he was supposedly "linked" to. Cedric knew those girls started them themselves to try and make an excuse to talk to him. He saw right through their silly games and made it a point to stay at a safe distance from those types of girls.

His mother's sister, Ronalda, has always told him to test the water with them but Cedric thought it was unfair to approach a girl that way if he didn't have any genuine feelings for her. No girl or guy deserved to be led on and set up for a potential heart break. If he didn't want it to happen to him, why go from girl to girl and do it to them?

"It's not about me, is it?" Cedric questioned, his eyebrow raising.

Luke shook his head. "Not this time. I just heard from Henry who heard from his brother in Slytherin who heard from Montague that there was an attack earlier today,"

Cedric almost dropped his inky quill all over his essay. Catching his almost movement, he slowly put down his essay and put back the quill on the ink stand. "Attack?" he spoke, his voice slightly raising. "What are you talking about?"

He was genuinely confused. An attack would have surely alerted the teachers who would have alerted them. And they would probably be evacuated from the school. He remembers his father telling him about what happened at the end of the Wizarding War and how there weren't any of those threats anymore so the thought of them was eliminated.

Luke saw his shocked expression and realized that he didn't elaborate on the attack and must have gave him the wrong impression. "No Ced, not that kind of attack," he said reassuringly.

Cedric let out a sigh of relief and sat back in his chair, thankful that it wasn't like what he thought and that everyone would be safe. A part of him wondered why he was never put in Gryffindor since he always seemed to be the more courageous one in his group of friends but then he remembered that he would do anything for his friends, even give up his life.

"Then what happened Luke?"

"Well you know how the Gryffindors crushed the Slytherins last year for the Cup?"

Cedric narrowed his eyes for a bit, thinking back to how disappointed he was when he let Higgs get the Snitch right out his grasp to move on to the Finals. "I'm well aware,"