Chapter 1

Chapter 1

*Aaron*

Cold. That's what I feel. I hoped that she'd never find me, never know that I'm here in New York too. I know she's assuming the worse. That I followed her here, not able to let go, but that's not it at all. She's still just as beautiful as I remember. Long, curly brown hair. Big brown eyes and her amazing lips.

"What are you doing here?" she asks.

"Working." I give a small smile as I gesture to the apron I wear with the café logo on it.

"I can see that, but why are you working in New York?"

"Is this the guy who tore your heart apart?" her boyfriend asks her.

"Yeah." She answers. "I hoped I'd never see you again." It's been two years, but that still stings like salt in a wound. I've thought of her a lot since the day she left. And it's clear she hasn't thought of me once.

"Aaron!" my boss calls. "I could use some help over here." I take in the line of people out the door.

"We'll talk?" I ask her, glancing at the guy she sits with. She hesitates for a moment before giving a small nod.

*Victoria*

Aaron leaves to do his job. He immediately went behind the counter and began to take orders.

Did he follow me here? Why haven't I seen him before now? I look over at Aaron who works hard dealing with the customers.

"Babe?" Colton says, grabbing my attention. His brows are furrowed as he looks at me with concern. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine." I try to give him a reassuring smile.

"We don't have to stay here. We can go someplace else."

"No, it's fine. Do you want to come over tonight for a study date? My roommate will be spending most of the night in the library."

"Are you really going to act like the guy from your past, the one who tore your heart to shreds might I add, didn't just wait on us? Give me one reason why I shouldn't go over there and pound his face in."

"He's not worth it. He's a part of my past. I don't care about him; I care about you."

"Why did you agree to talk with him?"

"It's been two years since I've last seen him. I'm curious to know what he's doing here in New York. But if you don't want me to talk to him, then I won't"
"Of course I don't want you to talk to him. After what he did to you, he doesn't even deserve to breathe the same air as you. But if you really, really want to talk with him, then do it."

"I don't want to make you upset."

"I won't be. Do whatever you have to do, okay?" He gives a small smile and I instantly feel reassured.

"How did I get so lucky to have you?"

***

Colton sits and talks with me until Aaron's shift is over. Aaron hangs up his apron and slowly makes his way over to our table.

"Hey." He says nervously.

"I'll get going." Colton says as he stands. "If she comes back to me, even the slightest bit upset, I will hurt you." He glares at Aaron for a moment before placing a kiss on the top of my head. "I'll meet you at your dorm." He says to me before leaving.