Chapter 14: Dealing with the devil 2

Blayze

I rubbed my eyes from straining them too long for the day. I couldn't fall asleep as easy as I wanted. The only way was to tire myself out so I'd unconsciously fall asleep. At the end, my eyes fell on the tray Caden had left.

"... I presumed you were dead so I drew closer to check..."

Her last words rang across my thoughts and I narrowed my brows as I leaned back in my chair. She's not just strong headed. She's also a little peculiar.

It makes me wonder what other attribute she has got up her sleeve.

Caden

I turned on the bed in discomfort. Though my eyes were shut, sleep was far from me and so I turned and turned again till I snapped and sat up.

"Drawn to his looks!?" I exclaimed in contempt.

"How could I have said that? Why did I say that? He didn't even ask anything?" I queried myself like a lunatic. I felt way too embarrassed to let go of the situation.

I couldn't tell anymore if my annoyance was from the fact that he said nothing or the fact I actually said something I shouldn't have? I don't know. I just know that the fact he might think I've fallen for his looks was quite upsetting.

A sigh escaped my lips and soon, I was off the bed, making my way downstairs. Barely close to his study room, I could see the light from beneath the door. He's still awake. I took a look at the time on my phone. It was well past one in the morning.

I turned away but on my very first step, I drew to a stop. I can only fall asleep after getting rid of this embarrassing and annoying feeling. The only way to do that was to go in there.

Without a second more of hesitation, I made a turn and went straight to the door. I was courteous enough to place the first knock but when no reply came through; I drew in a deep breath and gently pushed open the door.

This time, he stared back at me as my head piped in first. I was first to look away and then let my whole body in. My steps in was nothing straight, glancing and touching everything that came my way, anything to ease up the awkwardness.

"Why are you here?" finally, he spoke up.

I shrugged my shoulders without meeting his eyes.

"Nothing exceptional. I can't seem to fall asleep and... You're awake so I came to keep you company." I added finally meeting his eyes.

"I don't need your presence."

"Mm-mm, sure you don't." I added almost right away as I slumped on the sofa.

"But, I'm going to stay anyways. You married me so put up with everything that comes with me." I made myself comfortable and met his eyes once more, still the same.

"There's no course for you to worry. I'll just lie here quietly and watch you while you work till I fall asleep." I continued as I lay on the sofa and made use of one of the cushions for a pillow. He was silent, just staring.

Why won't he ever say something? Show any emotion of a sort. It has to be tiring being perfect all day.

"Blayze." I called after he had withdrawn his eyes away from me and sleep was fast approaching. He met mine again.

"Don't leave me here. Take me in when you retire." I urged through drowsy eyes and eventually, they shut.

Blayze

I rubbed my eyes once more and finally shut down the laptop. I got up on my feet and that's when I sighted her sound asleep on the sofa. I took steps closer and for a moment I just stared. I recalled her last words.

"... Take me in when you retire."

I rolled my eyes away from her. Caden doesn't seem to grasp the fact that we're not the average couple and we can't just be friends.

"Ohhh... so cold." She quivered a bit and I couldn't help staring down at her.