Chapter Twenty-Two: What Now?

We spent 4 days at the safe house before a decision was reached. Dean decided until we knew what was coming, what I could do, and what the over all scheme was; I would be going to Bobby's. It was a surprise when I didn't argue about his decision. In fact I was all for it. I was scared about all of this, like Cas had said soon more than demons will start looking. This was the safest place I could go.

Then next morning before the sun rise we grabbed all of our stuff and headed for South Dakota. The drive dragged on and on. With Sam and Dean up front Cas and I shared the back seat. Around 7 hours into the drive I was feeling unbelievably bored so I pulled out my traveling sketchbook. I always had it with me. I wasn't an amazing artists or anything but I was fairly good. With nothing better to do I turned towards Cas and started drawing him.

I had made about half of a page full of him when he looked over at me.

"What are you doing?"

"I'm drawing you." I told him plainly

"Why?"

"Because your right next to me, I'm bored, and I like to draw."

"May I see?"  I handed my sketch dump to him. "Nice work."

"Thanks," I said with a smile.

"Do you draw often?"

"When I get the chance. Its nothing serious just a bit of a hobby."

"I see," He said handing me back the sketchbook, "You should keep drawing your work is good."

"Thanks Cas" I said with a grateful smile. I finished my Cas drawings and moved onto Sam then Dean. I had to stop when my hand got a really bad cramp. After that I just listened to whatever was on the radio of the Impala.  We stopped somewhere in Nebraska for lunch. I climbed out of the Impala quickly with a charlie horse starting in my calf muscle.

"How long until we get to Bobby's?" I asked Dean while trying to work out the cramps in my legs.

"Another 7 hours or so. Give or take a little." He told me as we walked into a diner. After eating I went to the bathroom. I locked the door and looked at myself in the mirror above the sink. I saw that there was a nearly invisible scar from where Angelina had clawed my face. Two months I had been on the road. Two months my mom had been dead. I stared into my eyes for a while. Studying my own face in the reflection.

When I finally decided to actually go to the bathroom I was met by a very terrible inconvenience. Mother Nature had stopped by for the month.

"Shit....!" I had known it was coming soon but really?! Dammit. I reached into my wallet and pulled out a pad. I needed to go to the store. What an awkward shopping experience this was going to be! I should probably pick up another bra while I'm there. I finished up and headed outside to the car where the guys were waiting.

"Hey, ummm, I need to go to the store..." I told Dean.

"Why? What do you need?" God this was embarrassing.

"I just need to go to the store." Dean gave a one of those weird okay looks but said okay. We went to a local grocery store and Dean said he was coming with me because there was no way in hell I was going in alone.

When we went into the store Dean asked me again what I needed here and with a very pink embarrased face I told him what I needed. He was my dad but still I couldn't help but feel awkward about it. Dean got a funny expression on his face when I told him what I needed. Nothing was really said after that as we walked through the store. I got what I needed, I payed and then we left.

"Sorry about that," I told Dean as we headed out.

"No its...its fine. Your a girl its part of being a girl."

"It doesn't make it any less awkward." I admitted, "I hate having to go to the store because of it." I laughed a little, "I feel like I'm announcing it to the whole world!" Dean laughed at my over dramaticness and put his arm around my shoulders.

"What took so long?" Sam asked when we got back. Neither of us really said anything at first.

"It just took a while to find what we were looking for," Dean said covering for me. He started the Impala and we rode on. After many long hours of riding in the back seat (Which I mean in no way was bad) we arrived at Bobby's house.

He met us on the porch. Warm but serious greetings were exchanged and we went inside. I wasn't allowed to have the same room I had had last time we were here, instead I was shown to the basement where there was a safe room. It was like any other bedroom except it was completely made of iron walls that had salt in them with a huge devils trap on the ceiling and an assortment of weapons on one of the walls. Not to mention various warding symbols placed through out the room.  Home sweet home for the next little while. After putting my stuff inside I came upstairs and listened as Dean, Sam, and Cas told Bobby the situation at hand.

"I know its a lot to ask Bobby but she won't be safe on the road. Not until we know what is going on." said Dean.

"And she is okay with this?" Bobby asked skeptically, "She wants to be here?"

"Rachel's scared, "Sam said, "She feels safe here."  I listened quietly as the four of them talked. Based on the conversation I doubted I'd be leaving anytime soon.

"We don't know what she may be capable of or who might be coming after her, other than the demons and the angel that did this to her." Cas added. I couldn't help myself and came into the room.

"What if the demons are working for the angel?" I asked. I could tell by their expression that this could be possible, and Cas merely looked down at his feet, was that shame in his eyes?

"Possible," said Dean, "Its happened before." The feeling of the room changed rapidly between the four of them. It must be one of the things I don't know about.

I quickly changed the subject, "So I'll be staying here for a while. At least until we have a better understanding, right?"  They nodded. "Okay then," I said "Umm I'm going to be down in my room if you need me..." With that I turned around and went back down to the basement and into the safe room. I took out my ipod and I put it on shuffle. Demons by Imagine Dragons started playing. I layed on the bed and closed my hand around the cross around my neck. I flipped through the photographs on my ipod. I saw my mom and I, My friends, people I had taken pictures of and places I had been. A life left behind in the rubble of my old life and home. I smiled at the stupid pictures I had taken.

The door of the safe room creaked open and Dean came in. I sat up and looked at him. I took out the earphones.

"What's up?" I asked as he came in.

"You listened to that entire conversation didn't you?" I nodded at the question. "And?"

"And what?" I asked, "I know I have to stay here. Do I want to? No not really but I also know that I should. I mean, all of this is just...."I sighed "Dean. I'm scared and I'm confused and I don't know..." I put my head in my hands. "I don't want you guys to go. What if something happens to you?" I hadn't realized I had started crying, this was a constant occurrence lately. Dean put his arms around me and I cried into his shirt. I was so afraid to loose the only people I had left. We had no clue what we are up against and that made the job a million times harder and more dangerous.

I spilled everything that was on my mind to my dad. All the fear and anger and sorrow. I cried and cried and Dean didn't stop me. He just let me get it all out into the air. I ended up exhausting myself from crying and fell asleep. Dean put a blanket over me and before he left the room he looked back at my sleeping form. A deep regret forming in his heart. He had been missing from his daughters life for 16 years and now in her greatest time of need to protect her, to save her, he had to leave her behind. The stupid melancholy cliche reality of this was cruel.

Dean didn't want to leave me behind. In fact, he wanted to take me away from all of this. Reverse time and fix everything. Be there for me as a kid. Never let that angel come near me, but Dean knew that he couldn't and to compensate for that he had to do the one thing he always knew he could. Hunt down the son of a bitch that hurt his little girl and her mom. Then he would maybe be able to lift the guilt that rode on his soul. No one put it there but himself and no one could remove that but himself. He thought he owed it to me to do this, even though in my mind he didn't.