9

(Val's POV)

I woke up the next morning confused on why I was on the couch. I sat up and saw Olivia's shoes by my door and everything came back to me. I looked out the window and it was still dark. It had to have been at least 5, which was good because I had to be at work at 7:30. I got up and walked to my room and stopped when I saw Olivia changing through the crack of the door. I was right, her body still looked the same. I quickly turned around trying to fight the urge to look. What can I say? I'm a lesbian.

"You can come in now." I heard her say

"How did you know I was out here?" I said walking in

"I heard you. You don't have the lightest footsteps."

"I thought you'd still be sleep. You said you'd be gone before I got back I didn't think you'd leave before me."

"Yeah I know, but I feel like I need to fix things with Nina and I can't do that if I'm here. I'll just have my aunt pick me up from there."

"Are you sure?"

"You have a habit of asking people that."

"I'm just trying to make sure."

"You always care too much. I bet if someone were to yell for help now right now, you and your big heart would go out there and try to save them. You can't save the world Val."

"You're right. I can't, but I can try. You're a close friend of mine and besides the feelings I had and might still have for you, I care a lot for you and wouldn't want anything to happen to you. Lord knows what I would do to Nina if she hurt you."

"Its a good thing all of this military training has paid off. I can handle myself. Just because I'm smaller than you doesn't mean I'm weaker." She said as she put her curly hair into a high ponytail.

"OK I get it. I'm smothering you. Its only because I care."

"I know." Olivia kissed me on my cheek and walked out into the living room to get her shoes

"So you can't stay for breakfast?" I asked following her

"No ma'am. You need to get ready for work anyway."

"I have 2 hours." I said folding my arms

"You also have a tendency to procrastinate." Olivia said as she tied her shoes

"Fine, but can you at least call me when you are with your aunt? I just need to know you're safe."

"OK. I'll call you just to put your mind at ease."

"Thank you and be careful its still dark." She just gave me a look. "I'm sorry. I'm doing that worrying thing again."

"At least I know someone cares about me." Before leaving she gave me a hug and thanked me for letting her stay the night.

(Chloe's POV)

Its Friday morning and Carter and Leah are yelling at each other in the back of my class. I looked to see them on either side of another student, Nicholas, yelling at each other so I got up to see what was going on.

"Why are you two yelling in my class room?"

"Leah is cheating on me." Carter said pointing at Nicholas who was clearly oblivious to what was going on. I was just as confused as Nicholas

"Excuse me." I said trying to grasp the fact that I was talking to a 7 year old

"Leah gave Nicholas some of her gummy worms. She always saves them for me." Carter was very upset and Nicholas was still confused

"Umm. Leah what do you have to say?"

"I was just being nice." Leah said

"OK well. All three of you know that I have a no eating rule in my classroom, so no one should be eating gummy worms. Also Carter, Leah was just being nice to Nicholas."

"She's only supposed to be nice to me." This kid had some serious territorial issues.

"Ms. Ellison, I just asked for 1 gummy worm." Nicholas said

"I understand. However I need for Carter to go sit in the chair by my desk and I need Leah to switch seats with Lucy."

"Yes ma'am." They said in unison. I sat down at my desk with Carter sitting to the right of me. As I sat down there doing work, I started to wonder if letting him sit next to me would be a good choice. We all know he's a handful. Everything went fine, for the first 5 minutes.

"Ms. Ellison?"

"Yes Carter?" I said trying to focus on my work

"Why do you have yellow hair?"

"Its called blonde hair and I'm not sure. My mom has blonde hair and so does my grandma."

"Ok. So do you like apples?"

"Yes, do you like apples?"

"Only the red ones. The green ones are sour."

"Oh ok." There was about a 7 second pause before he started asking questions again

"Do you think I'm a bad kid?"

"Of course not. Why would you ask that?"

"Because the lady in my home said I'm a rotten little boy."

"No you're not. You're just misunderstood."

"I'm only 7, you can't just throw big words at me." I laughed. He was something else

"Misunderstood means that sometimes people don't understand why you do or say things." I said as I received 2 more papers from my students

"Oh. Well do you have a boyfriend?"

"Carter you ask a lot of questions." I said as I received 2 more papers. He was about to say something else but Mrs. Donald walked in.

"Hello Mrs. Donald."

"Good morning Ms. Ellison. I was coming in to tell you that I approve of your visitor. I would have emailed you but something is going on with my computer."

"Ok thank you."

"No problem. See you later." And with that she left

"What visitor? Is it Sergent Dexter?!" He yelling jumping up and down.

"Yes. Its Sargent Dexter."

"Yay!" Carter yell as he stood on his chair

"I'm glad you're happy but I need you to sit down before you hurt yourself."

"Oh yeah sorry." He whispered as he climbed down

I'm not going to lie I was kind of excited too