[22] He's Upset

Obi-Wan

Over the past couple of days, Obi-Wan had been silent, seemingly in a depressive state as he locked himself away in his room with his thoughts. Anakin had been seduced by the Dark Side and Padmé had lost the will to live, for her heartbreak was too strong.

'Ben? Ben, please open up,' you begged, knuckles tapping against his door gently. There was movement from beyond the door, but no response. 'I'll let myself in,' you warned.

A grumble, and more movement. You felt his presence near the door until the knob turned and he appeared, head bowed to hide his tear-ridden face and bloodshot eyes. Your gut twisted as you looked at him, but you pushed aside your inner feelings and stepped into the room. 

'Okay,' you said gently, reaching for him. 'We must talk about what's happened, Ben. You can't just allow yourself to wither away in your room. I need you,'

You followed him to his bed, where his sheets were crumpled and misshapen from his restless night. You sat on the edge, with him right beside you, and you gripped his hand. 

'Where do you want me to start?' Ben asked.

'What hurts the most?' You whispered. He opened his mouth, but only a mere, broken breath escaped his lips before he let out a heavy sigh and buried his head into his hands. 'It's Anakin, isn't it?'

He nods.

'Oh, Ben,' your lip wavered as you rubbed his back comfortingly. 'You must know there was nothing you could have done,'

'Perhaps not, but I should have seen it coming,' he responded quietly, groaning in annoyance at the mess he had become as he wiped away tears from his cheeks. 'Maybe I'm not the Jedi everyone has made me out to be.'

You were left stunned. 'Obi-Wan Kenobi, if I ever hear you speak like that again I will fear for my sanity. How could you say such a thing? You are a strong individual, with a gift many, many people could never have and never understand. You've learned to control it, to use it not for your own personal gain, but for the well-being of others. Without a doubt, Master Kenobi, you are by far one of the most powerful, selfless, respectful Jedi I have ever known. You're all I aspire to be,'

Somewhere between your pep talk, his tears had ceased and he had straightened up and hung onto your every word. Not to inflate his own ego, but to simply encourage himself to get back onto his metaphorical feet. He sighed roughly. 

'What kind of Jedi gets himself in a mess like this?'

You kissed his cheek softly before answering. 'The kind that aren't afraid to feel,'

Anakin Skywalker

'You're distressed,' Beru noted, placing a tray of food opposite you on the table before sliding it over carefully.

You picked away at the loose thread of your robe and nodded. 'Of course, I am. Anakin fled to find his mother nearly two hours ago and has yet to return. I fear for his safety,'

'He is a Jedi in training. I'm sure he'll be fine,' Beru comforted, placing a hand over your own before leaving me you eat. You hadn't much of an appetite, but you didn't want to seem disrespectful. You forced down as much as you could before being interrupted, the sound of a humming speeder whizzing across the land catching your attention. You moved swiftly out of the small sand home, eyes flashing across the barren landscape before catching Anakin's disheveled figure, a corpse wrapped up in his arms. He turned to look at you, before clenching his jaw and turning away.

'Anakin-'

He'd already turned to leave. The burial took place soon after, and you'd remained silent. You ached to speak to Anakin but knew that he needed his space. Talking to you would lift feelings he wanted to ignore and set his emotions on a rampage, so you gave him another hour of alone time before you simply couldn't wait anymore.